Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2007 yahama waverunner 1100 and it wouldnt turn over…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 yahama...
I have a 2007 yahama waverunner 1100 and it wouldn't turn over .. battery fine . if i keep pushing the start button it turns over a little but not enough to start then it dies any ideas
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/28/2010
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Chat Conversation Started
ALL Around Tech :

Hello

ALL Around Tech :

Did this first start just after last use?

Customer:

just bought it and it will not run

ALL Around Tech :

Please remove the spark plugs and crank the engine over, does it then crank ok?

ALL Around Tech :

If you remove the plugs and try to start you may find that water comes out if not and it still will not start try to turn the engine over by hand and see if it turn?

Customer:

did that but it will not crank fast at all very slow if it does

ALL Around Tech :

Did you have the battery tested yet or just checked the voltage?

Customer:

yes new battery and boosted

ALL Around Tech :

Boosted? Do you mean a battery charger is connected and turned to boost?

Customer:

pulled starter and it spins good never tryied to geve it and risestance once it was out

Customer:

did both charger then from my truck

ALL Around Tech :

Do not use a charger or running vehicle when trying to start as you can short out the electrical system on the ski, only charge battery and start only from its battery or from another battery but that engine is not running.

Customer:

how do you turn it over by hand

ALL Around Tech :

Ok, please check the main battery neg cable and check to make sure it is tight and clean on both ends.

Customer:

truck was off

Customer:

yes it was

ALL Around Tech :

If it is at least turning over slowly then no need to turn it over by hand right now.

ALL Around Tech :

What happens if you jump the starter right off of the pos of the battery?

ALL Around Tech :

By using a jumper wire?

Customer:

pulled off intake and put vise crips on and can turn it over

Customer:

hve starter pulled right now

ALL Around Tech :

ok, try bench testing the starter, use the case as the ground and touch the pos to the pos post on it does it spin over nice and strong?

Customer:

watche it turn over very little when wehad plugs out first you push the start button then wait a bit then have to keep pressing the start button to make it do anything

Customer:

yes it did

ALL Around Tech :

ok, but with the starter off, please connect wires to it like it was in the ski but on a bench, use a 12v battery and connect neg to starter case as ground then use a pos cable from battery pos and touch it to the starter pos post, does it spin nice and strong?

Customer:

a few times it turned over for about a second then nothing

ALL Around Tech :

sorry, I just noticed you said it did

ALL Around Tech :

ok, what this means is either the starter is good or is weak under load. If you have checked the wiring then next is I think you said you turned the engine by hand, how easy did it turn?

ALL Around Tech :

SO with the starter off the ski and on the bench it only turned over a few times then quit?

Customer:

fuses are good disconnecter ever electrical unit and repluged in

Customer:

no off it turns very good

Customer:

fast enought to dare near drop it

ALL Around Tech :

ok, starter should be ok then.

Customer:

thats what i thought but you never know

ALL Around Tech :

Did you say before that you where able to turn the engine over by hand?

Customer:

first jet ski so have no idea what else to check but the basics

Customer:

i remove the intake cover had vise crips on the prop shaft it did turn over as much as i could

ALL Around Tech :

What do you mean by "as much as you could"? did it stop turning or ran out of room from vise grip handles?

Customer:

ran out of room

Customer:

where else would you turn it over

Customer:

for a small engine it does seem tough to turn

ALL Around Tech :

ok, make sure the spark plugs are out and then you should actually be able to grab the rear flywheel of the engine and turn it fairly easy by hand, turn towards the left if at rear looking forward, do this for at least 10 full turns, how does it feel? Go slow this way you can feel how tight it is and if it gets harder at any point? There will be a normal point that is easy then hard but I think you understand what I am asking

ALL Around Tech :

with the spark plugs out this engine should turn very very easy if you can grab the flywheel.

Customer:

ya plugs were in dumb thinking on my part

ALL Around Tech :

no problem, I just want to make sure the engine or pump is not seizing up on you.

Customer:

dam hope the motor is not screwed

Customer:

flywheel a back of motor is easy to get at

Customer:

and the pump where is that if it is the pump

ALL Around Tech :

well a starter can actually bench test ok and not work well to turn over under a load so it could still be bad, next is an electrical problem, then if not a battery then either the engine or pump "jetpump" where your impeller is located, there are bearings inside it.

Customer:

cheaper the motor lol

Customer:

ya wasnt brave enough to hold vise crips on the starter bench testing it

Customer:

how long do you hang out on here

Customer:

i will go pull the plugs

Customer:

turns over freely

Customer:

remove plugs and turns over to the left very easy

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
I will be here for awhile still, Sorry I had to switch off from the chat as my posts where not going through to you for some reason. Chat is still in testing

Ok, since it turns over freely this leads me to an electrical problem, first what is the manufacture of the battery?

What model is this ski, vx, fx?

Please confirm year as 2007?

Thanks,

Joe

Chat is having issues, I am very sorry for the problem.

Please check that this is a quality battery if it is and is tested go then move on to check electrical connections.

Since it does turn over just slow then stop this shows a bad connection or a bad starter, I myself would put the starter back in the engine then jump the starter just as you did for the bench test and see if that turns over fast and normal if not then you have a bad ground or a bad starter or bad battery or a cheap battery.

This is all based on the fact I read you stated that the engine turns over nice and easy.

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by ALL Around Tech on 6/28/2010 at 4:13 AM EST

Let me know if you are able to see these replies this way.

Thanks,

Joe

Yes seen replys looking around for new starter but work till 4 so I will try new one later this afternoon took starter apart last night and it seems not engaging freely or does the starter not have a bendix does the gear always ride on the flywheel or is it to engage then disengage

No the starter is always out but the bendix engauges, I do not suspect this with being a bendex problem unless binding up which would require removing the front cover to check that.

Thanks,

Joe

turns over freely with starter jumped but will not run with out starter fluid bad i know but it does run for abit then dies

It will not run unless getting signal from the ignition key, ok we now know that the starter is ok then.

You can jump the large post on the starter relay/solenoid coming from the battery pos to the small ignition start wire on the solenoid and if it then turns over slow or not at all then replace the starter solenoid, if it is fine then will need to start checking connections and wiring for problems.

Check if when you put the key on if the gauges light up just fine as well.

Thanks,

Joe

Everything lights up think I have faulty silond but jumping it at the silanoid but will still not run turns over very fast but if I spray starter fluid it will run but if no fluid it dies so there is spark but not running yet

It will not run jumping it from the solenoid, that was just a test.

Thanks,

Joe

Ok any ideas

Yes, Check with a voltmeter how much voltage is going to the starter solenoid on the small ignition wire, it should be the same as the battery voltage, is it?

Also if you did the other test where you jumped from battery pos to small ignition wire at the solenoid and it turned slow then most likely a bad solenoid thats not letting full voltage through which is odd/rare, they usually work or they dont.

Let me know what voltage you get at the solenoid and then also at the starter when you press the start button.

Thanks,

Joe