Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

a friend is selling an old jet ski for 1,000. Its not in the…

Customer Question
a friend is selling an...
a friend is selling an old jet ski for 1,000. It's not in the best shape. Because newer ones are so expensive, is it still worth getting an old one and fixing it up?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 8 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Ski repairs are not cheap by any standard.
It's not too horrible if you do it yourself.

What kind of ski are we talking about?
What's the make and model of it?
1999 4seater seadoo, very large by todays standards
SeaDoo didn't make a 4 seater

The biggest ski's were the gtx, and gti in 99

Unless this is a seadoo jet boat.
sorry, your right, its the gtx 99
do you know what's wrong with it?
its been sitting outside for most of last season. The owner said she did a lot to it the season before, but I don't know exactly what. i'm sure by looking at it, it wont just start up. But inside the engine compartment it did look clean, not rusty. but more than that i don't know.
Sitting for one season won't hurt it.
The gas will be junk and you'll want to drain it.
Get a new battery Don't fight with a junk battery.
Buy new spark plugs.
You might get lucky.

If the engine cranks over and you have compression and spark.
It's well worth $1,000
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

By any means even if the engine is junk the ski would still sell for $1500, even more parted out, a new engine for that runs around $1200, maint can be expensive.

next if it has the grey fuel lines then you will need to remove/drain and flush the gas tank, replace the grey fuel lines with new black rubber fuel hose, clan and or rebuild the carbs and clean the fuel valve, this is all because the factory grey lines had major problems gumming up the system.

Next if it has been sitting a year not ran you will need to clean/rebuild the carbs either way.

That engine in good condition should have over 150psi on each cylinder however around 130 will not hurt as long as they are both close to the same, you just do not want under 100 psi or 160 on one and 100 on the other.

You also need to remove the pump nose cone drain and refill with only seadoo pump oil and new o-rings.

Here is the owners manual to help http://seadoomanuals.net/download/pdf/owners/manuals/1999/1999-seadoo-op-guide.pdf

As I stated either way it is mst certainly worth $1000 esp if it has a trailer.

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by ALL Around Tech on 6/28/2010 at 2:22 AM EST