Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

A friend has a old wood sailboat that some how I got conned…

Customer Question
A friend has a old...
A friend has a old wood sailboat that some how I got conned into helping pull the diesel engine out of. The boat was built in 1967 and and is amazing nice. What bothers me is in the engine room there is a build up of a lot of white/greenish/brown crystaline material that seems corrosive.There seems to be more at the top and I am wondering if that is salt from bad venting?There is also some basicly white that you find all along the inside the hull if you pull up the floor hatches and in places it is seperating the fibers of the wood ribs making it look like an old paint brush.Do you have any ideas what to do with it. Jeff
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/28/2010
Marine Mechanic: Yachtwork, Marine Engineer replied 8 years ago
Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Jeff- Amazing what you find in old wooden bilges. So, what could this be? It could be salt crystals, but that is unlikely or your would reconise it as salt residue. What I suspect you are seeing is an acid that comes out of wood when galvanvanic action is taking place. The stuff is bad and can disolve the wood ruining it. That is probalby what you see when you you say an old paint brush. The first thing to do is a full corrosin survay. You can use my system found here-

http://yachtwork.com/report-corrosion.htm

Next is use some baking soda to wash out the green acid like gel. That will be ruining the boat's wood.

To be clear this is different than dry rot, and other types of rot. This is a chemical reaction, and not a living orginisim. Well from what you describe anyway.

Scott