Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Ill try to explain as best as I can. The first year I bought…

Customer Question
Ill try to explain as...
Ill try to explain as best as I can. The first year I bought my boat if i left the motor down on the water not running it would have a hard time starting and once it started it smoked hevaly then it would run fine. I learned that if i raised the motor while i was stoped it would start fairly easy.the next year it was about the same. And the third year i didnt use it much but when i did it was a little harder to start at first and little worse when restarting the motor on the water when motor was left down. This year I had a really hard time starting the motor i had to hold throttle wide open by hand and choke two of the carbs to get it to start.then let it run at 1500 to 2000 RPM for about two or three minets then I was able to get the boat to run.But if I ran the boat at 500 RPM or less it seems to start loading up with fuel within a few minits.Running at 3500/4500 RPM dosent seem to have any problems. Motor is a 2000 150 HP Mercury out board
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/27/2010
Marine Mechanic: K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
This sounds like a candidate for carburetor kits. When these engines sit, the fuel evaporates from the carburetors and leaves behind a residue that gums up the inside of the carburetors. It can cause a lean running condition or even flooding. If a two stroke engine runs lean it will burn out pistons. I would rebuild the carburetors, it could save you a powerhead rebuild and will make it run better.
where can i buy carburetor kits? And are there any tricks that I should know about before I atempt to install the carb kits?
Any Mercury dealer can sell you the kits. They are also available from after market marine parts suppliers. Don't leave part of the carburetor together, for instance the jets can look fine but have crud underneath them, all the little nooks and crannys in the carburetor need to be clean and the float levels are critical, they need to be set accurately. There is usually a spec sheet with a carburetor kit that will give you the float level.
im not shure but i dont think these carbs have floats and its not fuel injected
Shoot me your serial number so I can see exactly what you have.

Im at work and I dont know the # XXXXX will get back with you later when i get the info u need. thanks.

Ok
I can tell u it has what i would discribe as three two barrel carbs and i see no bowls where a float would be. What do u think?
The carb should come apart, the bottom should come off and expose the floats. The float bowl is cast aluminum on these carburetors.
Relist: just want to hear from more experts.
Marine Mechanic: Whitecap36, Marine Technician replied 8 years ago
Whitecap36
Whitecap36, Marine Technician
Hello, I'm Mike.
Kerry is correct in saying the issue is in your carbs. With the serial number we can get you the carb part numbers you need and a picture break down. You will likely only need inlet needles and gasket kits. Floats need to be set level. Carbs should be cleaned with carb cleaner and air blown, then inspected for any plugged passages. Depending on how many hours the engine has I would size the idle and high speed jet as well. I would also install a fuel pump kit if you haven't in the last 3-4 years.

Ill get u the # XXXXX i get home. thanks guys for the help.

Ok good as I may not be around for your reply I asked Kerry to help if needed, if thats ok?