Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

mercury 350 mag idles fine. revs up to 4000rpm in neutral…

Customer Question
mercury 350 mag idles fine...
mercury 350 mag idles fine. revs up to 4000rpm in neutral. dies when in gear at about 2500 rpm had a new impeller installed. wnet out on lake yesterday and discovered one of the drain plugs was broken after sytem flushed. as a reult engine compartment was very wet. engine starts fine. idels fine. revs up fine. dies when accelerating. able to cruise at only around 2000rpm. after that it it shuts of. checked lines. no kinks found. fyi mech also removed a 7 inche hose that fell into the fuel tank line. it was attached to a funnel and the hose slipped off the funnel and fell into the fuel line. they took off the gas line and fished out the hose which was about 7 inches long. i am not sure if that has anything do do with it but everything looks like it was hooked back up ok.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 day by:
6/28/2010
Marine Mechanic: Captain Dave, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Captain Dave
Captain Dave, Marine Mechanic
Hello. I don't think that hose is part of your problem. Is this a carbureted motor or EFI?
it is MPI fuel injected.
OK, thanks. It sounds like a fuel system problem - possibly clogged injectors, but I don't have a lot of experience iwth the MPI motor, so I am going to opt out and let another expert take this over.
thanks for taking a shot at it