Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2008 yamaha two stroke 50 HP. First time leaving the…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 yamaha...
I have a 2008 yamaha two stroke 50 HP. First time leaving the ramp, the boat runs great with a minor engine cut out @ 2000 rpm. After shutting down the engine, then trying to throttle up again, the engine stalls and dies @ 1800 -2000 rpm. No power on earth can make the engine get above 2000 rpm at this point...it will stall and die. My Yamaha Certified Repair Mechanic has checked everything known to check and is bouncing ideas back and forth from Yamaha. Mean time I'm out a boat. NOTE: The mechanic found a faulty intake manifold (factory defect) and replaced it. The boat is still under warranty.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
Marine Mechanic: Abiorca, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Abiorca
Abiorca, Marine Mechanic
Hi Will it rev out of gear above 2000rpm?did this problem occure suddenly,
Few wierd ones I have had in the past is
johnson 55hp would not rev above 2500 in or out of gear, problem was the labyrinth seals on the crank.
Suzuki 175 would shut down at 1800 rpm, problem was the charge coil (stator) had delaminated internally at 1800rpm there was a sufficient static to interfere with the ecu.
Johnson 60 3cyl, no guts, problem was stator plate seized so timing was unable to advance.
Yamaha 50hp fourstroke, no guts, problem was lighting coil failure which caused choke to stay on.
Yamaha 50hp twostroke, no guts, secondary coil wires had been put round wrong way from factory,cyl 1 was ok 2 and 3 were wrong way,

I purchased boat used from a Dealer in Dec 2009 and did not have a chance to use it until March 2010. The Dealer assured me the boat was 100% Lake Ready. I took it back to the Dealer after it had this problem and he says he cleaned up the Carbs and the boat runs great. I took the boat out the next day, and it continues with the same problem. I did not return the boat to the Dealer, as I lost confidence in him when he told me the boat ran great and it did not. I have taken the boat to a different Dealer / Mechanic for repair. I will get the information you have given me to my mechanic and hope this helps solve the problem. I will get back to you. If you think of anything else that may help....please let me know.

Thanks,

Hi I think I would make a bee line for the enrichment control valve,and the check valves.
Relist: The mechanic has tried all the suggestions so far. Yamaha says it is not an electrical issue, but problem persists. The engine will rev above 2000 rpm out of gear. Would like to have another viewpoint.

Thanks.
The mechanic has tried all the suggestions so far. Yamaha says it is not an electrical issue, but problem persists. The engine will rev above 2000 rpm out of gear. Would like to have another viewpoint.

Thanks
Relist: Would like more input as problem is not solved. 50 HP Yamaha 2 stroke still will not rev above 2000 rpm under load. Engine will rev above 2000 rpm if in neutral. Mechanic increased fuel Enrichment and it will run better, but will not idle if fuel is enriched. Fuel check valve ok. .
Would like more input as problem is not solved. 50 HP Yamaha 2 stroke still will not rev above 2000 rpm under load. Engine will rev above 2000 rpm if in neutral. Mechanic increased fuel Enrichment and it will run better, but will not idle if fuel is enriched. Fuel check valve ok.