Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Im working on a 2003 Suzuki DT225. The center piston on the…

Customer Question
I'm working on a 2003...
I'm working on a 2003 Suzuki DT225. The center piston on the port side has a hole burnt in it. My concern is the cylinder. It has some very minor scratches in it. I have read that you can't just hone these and put them back because of a boron coating. Is this correct? Can I just hone it and put a new piston in, or do I need to replace the cylinder?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/27/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
If the scratches are very minor then you can put a new piston in. If the cylinder is more than just a couple of light scratches you will need to have the cylinder replaced. Here is a link to the cylinder http://store.brownspoint.com/dt225/fig004-2250103.asp
You can't hone the cylinder/
Jeff
To me the scratches are light. They are visible and I can feel them with my fingertips, but my fingernail doesn't catch on it. I was really hoping not to have to buy a new cylinder. There is no apparent ridge at the top either. Do you think I will be ok just with a new piston and should I put new rings on the other 2 pistons?
Any time I pull a piston I put new rings on. Clean the ring lands and any carbon on the piston.
If they are just light scratches you may be ok, particularly if your fingernail doesn't catch. Only an experienced tech could tell for sure. Not being able to examine it personally I can't tell you yes or no.
You need to find the problem that caused the piston to go before you run it again.
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Thanks man. That helps a lot. I think the main problem was the prop. The engine had a 14x28 on it on a pretty heavy boat. The PO said it would only rev to about 4200 at full power.I believe it should have had a 21 or a 23 on it to let it rev some more. I'm gonna try a new piston and some new rings on that side and see what happens. Thanks again. Any other advice you may want to share would be appreciated.
Just let me know if you have any other questions. Make sure there isn't any aluminum transfer to the cylinder walls.
Jeff