Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

my mercury 140 outboard will die when I go to pull a waterskier…

Customer Question
my mercury 140 outboard will...
my mercury 140 outboard will die when I go to pull a waterskier out of the water. The motor also is tough to start even after using it a while. What can I do to correct the problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/27/2010
Marine Mechanic: James, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
James, Marine Mechanic

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer.

It sounds like your motor just doesn't have the power anymore. Do a compression check of the cylinders. If they are low, or uneven by more than about 10-15 psi between any two cylinders, your problem is simply a tired, 32 year old engine.

Relist: Answer quality.
Marine Mechanic: Outboard Guy, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Outboard Guy
Outboard Guy, Marine Mechanic
I think James is correct in his analysis. Before you spend any more money on a motor that's worth no more than $1000 I'd be sure the compression is good. If it is, you move on to the next step. If it isn't, start looking for another motor.
Would an engine just die after it is running ......brought to an idle......(while waterskier is getting ready).... then when I go to gun it it dies......straight out cuts out and stops. Not bogging or anything?
There are many things that may be causing this from electrical to fuel related. Before spending any more money, I would have another mechanic evaluate the overall condition of the engine.
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
While I would definitely check the compression there is nothing wrong with the older inline 6 engines, they are good strong engines.
Check the compression.
Check the spark using a spark checker.
The inline 6 engines were bad about getting on plane when the carb were set too lean.
On the top right of each carb is an idle mixture screw. Turn this screw two turns out from lightly seated, this should richen the mixture enough to get the boat going.
Check the cover on the float bowl. If the float bowl cover has a small black tube on it there is a small brass air jet on the cover. Remove the jet and discard it. Don't put anything in it's place just leave it out.
You can also adjust your idle speed on the plate with the screws on it in the front of the distributor. Set it so that the idle speed is around 750 to 850 in gear.
Finally check all of the wiring on the engine for any bad insulation or corrosion. replace any component with bad wires.
Post back your results.
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
I wont be able to try this until after the 4th of july , thank you
No problem there, just let me know how it goes. If you have further questions just let me know. The inline 6 Mercury's were some of the best engines made and with proper care and tuning can last a long time.