Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have just bought a Bombadeer Sea Doo GTX RFI 2002 for 3250…

Customer Question
I have just bought a...
I have just bought a Bombadeer Sea Doo GTX RFI 2002 for £3250 and transported it down to the south of France.

I've been running the jet Ski all last week with no problem. I was running it quite hard 3 days ago and the engine started to hesitate, I slowed down and opened the bonet where lots of smoke came out, the Jet ski would only run at minimum speed. I topped the oil up as it was running quite low and went into shore.

After letting the jet ski cool down for 5 min we went back out to try to get home. The ski was very poor at low revs with almost no power however when you apply revs it seems to work much better but still way off perfect.

I have checked outlet pipes and motor and I can not see anything obvously wrong within the engine compartment. When I start the engine there is alot of vibration and exhaust smoke comes out of the engine compartment.

Please can you help point me in the right direction?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/27/2010
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

Does smoke come out the sec you start it? If it does please try to locate the area it is coming from and reply back.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Good to hear from you.

I have located a hole in the exhaust pipe before the muffler but after the exhaust manifold.

There is a hole in a piece of exhaust hose (80 cm / 10 cm) which I can replace for a few pounds.

Would having this hole which was dripping cooling water have an impact on the performace of the Jet Ski at low revs? The Jet Ski gave a very rough ride at low revs and did not reach top performance at high revs?

Do you think replacing this hose will solve the problem?

best
Chris

Any exhaust leak before the muffler will cause running problems and even then smoke in the hull will be ingested by the engine as air too.

You will need to start there first ad yes this will most likely cure the problem.

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe