Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1980 22 formula that came with a 228Hp 5.0 it has…

Customer Question
I have a 1980 22'...
I have a 1980 22' formula that came with a 228Hp 5.0 it has gone out. I am trying to put a 350 out of a 1987 pontiac GTA that I have rebuilt, but the flywheel and coupler from the old motor will not work. Is there a flywheel and coupler made that will work for my app
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/27/2010
Marine Mechanic: capt ron 1959, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
capt ron 1959
capt ron 1959, Marine Mechanic

Hello,the Pontiac 5.7 has a different bolt pattern on the crank,there are no engine couplers for the Pontiac,does your engine coupler bolt directly to the crank,or to the flywheel.

Capt Ron

to the flywheel.

The Marine industry never used the Pontiac engine,only the Chevy and the Ford,I am not sure the bellhousing will work either,if the bellhousing won't work,you will have to switch engines.Sorry to say it,but it will be easier and cheaper to locate a Chevy 350 then it will be to make the Pontiac work.Hope this helped,let me know if I can help anymore.

Capt Ron

The Pontiac 350 is a Chevy 350 they are the same!! On the newer models mercriuser did they change the flywheel on newer models?

Yes the newer 350 with the one piece rear main seal has a different bolt pattern at the crank,and they use the 14" flywheel,does your new engine have the one piece rear main seal.

Capt Ron

yes it has a one piece rear main seal. So I just need a newer flywheel and coupler, to make this app work with my alfa one, corrrect?

Yes,with the newer flywheel and engine coupler,it will work.

Capt Ron