Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

had the ski winterized , just put it in the water for the first…

Customer Question
had the ski winterized...
had the ski winterized , just put it in the water for the first time and had problems right away.it had trouble starting because battery was low.i then charged it and it started right away then when i tried to go it would bogg down and would only go bout 10 mphrpms were go just the ski wouldnt goi noticed it last year and it did it once or twice but after like 10 min. it would take off now nothing.The spedometer also was staying at 0 mph its doesnt sound the same anymore its not idleing right
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/26/2010
Marine Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 8 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Hi and thank you for your question.
The first thing I would double check is to make sure it is not in the reduced RPM mode. You should see the light indicating that if it is.

Beyond that, the next thing I would check would be is to pull the top off the air box and inspect it for presence of oil, especially on the paper air filter. They are susceptible to wet sumping then pumping oil into the air box and clogging the air filter. Especially if you checked the oil level prior to running it, found it was low, topped it off then ran the ski, you are over-filled.

You will also want to check the spark plugs to see if they have fouled from running overly rich from starving for air. If they are black and dry, you will need to replace them, they are not cleanable.

If you do not find anything out of the ordinary with those checks, my next piece of information needed would be are there any warning lights saying a system is malfunctioning.

As far as the speedo not working anymore, that is usually from the paddle wheel for the hall effect sensor being stuck. Usually giving that a spin with your finger to free it up will resolve that. You will find it at the back of the ski on the bottom.

Thanks
RSRBOB

Edited by RSRBOB on 6/26/2010 at 11:31 PM EST
i havent changed the plugs since i got it in 08' they just changed the filter when they winterized it will spark plugs make it bogg down the entire time and run badwhile its running and what are some plugs you suggest
Thank you for the additional information.

The reason I mentioned the filter is not that it needs to be replaced from age, but from oil saturation as a result of wet sumping (natural leakage of the check valves in the oil tank during storage) the engine and oil being pumped into the air box and ultimately being sucked into the air filter and clogging it. Under those conditions, the age of the filter is irrelevant.

I only recommend NGK brand spark plugs, and your ski takes CR9EB spark plugs. You didn't specify how many hours are on the ski, but if you have 50+ hrs, it wouldn't hurt to throw plugs at it.

You are missing the whole point here. The spark plug symptom is a result of the problem. The problem I am describing is the engine can not suck enough air through the air filter because it is oil saturated. The fuel injection is going to pump the fuel into the intake no matter what, it just isn't getting the air it expects to allow it to atomize properly. It is that fuel with an absence of air that causes the plugs to foul.

Replacing the plugs without fixing the original problem will be a very short term fix. The new plugs will soon foul if the original problem that caused the last set to foul is not resolved along with replacing the plugs.

The other thing that comes to mind would be if the engine was fogged during the winterization process and the spark plugs were not replaced when put back into service this year. We want to be sure we understand what caused this problem, not just the symptoms, so it doesn't happen again.

Thanks,
RSRBOB
so change the air filter and plugs, should i go to a certain kind of air filter like an intake or how do i stop it from happening again ? how do i get the air flow i need ?
No, you need to LOOK at it to see if it is oil saturated, based on what you see, we will know what to do next.