K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

My 1974 Silverline Antigua 18T has a ford 302 mercruiser V-8

Customer Question

My 1974 Silverline Antigua 18T has a ford 302 mercruiser V-8 188 hp. The single lever shift/throtlle remote control is made by MerMar. I cannot find and info on adjusting this control. It was seized and I disassembled it and got it working butt now I have only forward gear. This control is nor in any of the mercury manuals I have found.

The throttle works in fwd and reverse, then engine stalls when I try to go to reverse.... The engine end has not been touched, I may have put the shift linkage plate on the remote in the wrong position????? I really need to find a manual with a photo of the correct setup of the remote shift linkage..

Jim,
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 8 years ago.
There is a cut-out switch on the shift rack at the back of the engine. It is designed to cut out the engine for an instant to allow it to be pulled out of gear. If the shift is not adjusted properly it will trip the cut-out switch going into gear and stall the engine. You may have set the shift cable on the wrong spot in the control or possibly need to adjust the cables on the shift rack. If the shifter was seized, there may be other problems from sitting. The shift cable itself may need to be replaced.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1693398#post%201693398
This link will get you manuals
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The shift cables are free, and the kill switch has not been moved. If the manual shows the back of the control then maybe it will help. It seems to me there are several holes to put the cable into, it seems I have overtravel in reverse?? Finding neutral is also a problem that indicates the same error
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 8 years ago.
On the lever inside the control, farther from the pivot point gets you more travel. There are only a few options so you can probably find the right spot by trial and error.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Okay I tried all the above and nothing made sense. I just bought this boat so no idea of history or repairs. In desperation I pulled the outdrive.

Someone had it apart and the linkage from the shift cable to the shift lever was disconnected. There is a roller ball on the cable that fits into a notch on the shift lever, it was not in the notch. I tried shifting the lower unit with a 1/2" wrench and it goes easily into forward, reverse, and neutral......No wonder I couldn't find it.

Now I have a transom water leak to find and I have to pull the engine as the rear main seal is pissing oil into the bilge.

thanks,

Jim

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 8 years ago.
The roller on the slider was not in its notch, that would be hard to find, glad you did.