Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have owned a Bavaria 38 fitted with the above engine for…

Customer Question
I have owned a Bavaria...
I have owned a Bavaria 38 fitted with the above engine for 6 years from new. The engine has 586 hours and I have changed the engine oil and filter annually. I have always run the engine at 1500 rpm and, to my knowledge, it has never exceeded 2000 rpm. I have never experienced any problems with the unit until, on a recent passage between Martinique and St Lucia where I now live, during hourly checks below, I noticed that the engine bilge had black oil in it. This is the first time this has happened - the bilge had been dry since new. I shut down the engine and checked the oil level 3 times and it registered empty on the dip stick. I had only 4 quarts on board, so put that into the engine. On checking the dip stick it registered 2" above the full mark! I then left it shut down until I reached port where I ran it at idle for 10 mins and noticed that oil was seeping from the oil emptying pipe. I increased the rpm and the seepage increased. I shut the engine down and checked the oil breather and air filter. Both appeared to be serviceable, however the seepage from the extraction pipe stopped when the engine was run with either the oil breather or air filter removed. Baffled, I drained 10.5ltrs of oil from the engine and fitted a new filter. Prior to refilling with new oil the dip stick registered empty. Having put 6.5 litres of new oil into the engine, I checked the dip stick and it registered full! I ran the engine for 10 minutes and rechecked the contents and it still registered full on the dip stick. On previous oil changes I have extracted 10.5 litres and refilled with the same quantity of new oil - as advertised in the Owners Manual. There is no evidence of water or diesel fuel in the oil extracted from the engine and at no time did the oil pressure or engine temperature warnings illuminate/sound. At a loss I contacted the local Penta dealer but he was unable to offer any solution. I would be extremely grateful if there is anyone out there who can suggest a cause and, more importantly, a cure. Jeff Bullen
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/26/2010
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Hi, The problem you are having is the engines crankcase pressure is pushing the oil up through the oil tube. Replace your air filter # XXXXXgraphic check your crankcase ventilation. The pressure in the crankcase is created by the movement of the pistons. The pressure has to be relieved. Check # XXXXX for operation this is a valve.graphic
Many thanks Tan for your prompt reply. As I said in my initial report, when I removed the air filter #1 and the valve #37 (oil breather), and ran the engine, the oil stopped coming up through the oil tube. When I replaced both parts - which appeared to be serviceable - the problem returned. It also doesn't explain why the dip stick reads full when I have only put in 6 litres of the 10.5 litre capacity. I would very much appreciate any other thoughts you may have. Regards, Jeff
Did you replace the filter and the valve? Did you measure the amount of oil you took out?
Hi Tan, No I didn't replace the filter or valve, but I intend to do so on Monday - if I am able to source them here in St Lucia!!!!!!! Yes I did measure the oil I took out initially and it was 10.5 litres. When I was putting the new oil in, I did a check after putting in 6.5 litres and the dip stick showed full. Subsequently I have pumped out that oil to verify the amount, and it was 6.5 litres. The strange thing was that it was thick black oil that came out and not clean oil as I expected. Jeff
Yes replace both of them. Once fresh oil has been in a diesel it turns black almost immediately. If you let the engine sit for awhile then check the level it should be correct. There is allot of places the oil has to run down to get to the oil pan. Check oil in the morning before you start. If your crankcase is overfilled it will blow oil also.
Thanks Tan. If I may, I will wait until I have carried out all your advice and come back to you next week with the results. Jeff
Ok Jeff no problem.