Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have an engine that is very hard to keep at idle when cold.I…

I have an engine that...
I have an engine that is very hard to keep at idle when cold.I am not getting 12v to the fuel primer solenoid.It also has small burn marking in the back like a soldering iron tapped it a few times on the bottom.I did a resitance check on it and it was (isolated)4.9ohms is the key switch bad ? am I supposed to have 12v all the time to it or only when key is pushed in?Or is the solenoid supposed to self shut off?
6/26/2010
James, Marine Mechanic

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer.

Those burn marks on the solenoid came from the inside when it was burned out from someone holding it on for a long time. It needs to be replaced.

It should only have power to it when the key is pushed in.

That enricher valve is only for starting purposes. It's not supposed to be used as a fast idle. That is what the throttle only lever is for. If you are trying to take off in the boat as soon as it starts, you are going to have issues. It needs to warm up. Let it.

Ok I just came from the boat and im frustrated!LOL I have always alowed the boat to warm up before taking off.Just put in fresh plugs and fires up turn key.

1. So the key switch is bad and the solenoid?(no 12v to solenoid when pushed in when I tested it,only when I jumped it @ key switch from purple to purple with a white tracer ! )

2.I have 1,000 rpms right now in nuetral and cant get it to go down any further.I syncronized the throttle plates correctly .how do I bring it down.

3. The boat shuts off after 5-8 minutes of idle (800-1000)and the primer ball is empty.I pulled the anti-syfon valve and can barely blow a drop of air one way and zero the other way!! Is this bad too?? it seems highly restricted!

4. I sprayed carb cleaner slightly on the starboard side of the carbs to test for leaks and the idle dropped down for a sec or two..

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

The engine is running high rpm's because you have a vacuum leak thats why the engine slowed down when you sprayed. You have either a carb base gasket # XXXXX leaking or an intake manifold gasket # #. The primer pump should get voltage only when the key is pushed in. The primer is probably shot and needs replacing.Diagram of  Johnson Outboard Parts 1997 BJ60TLEUA 1997 INTAKE MANIFOLD Diagram

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician