Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Hello,I have a 1966 evinrude 40 Big Twin motor,I need to know…

Hello,I have a 1966 evinrude...
Hello,I have a 1966 evinrude 40 Big Twin motor,I need to know the direction(pic preferably) of the water pump impeller,ive installed a new impeller butim not getting any water through exhaust,matched up to the way the old impeller was by the direction most of the fins were going,some were twisted,Did I install it backwards,does it have to be primed?Also I have a foamy oil gas smelling substance coming out of some hole above the prop after I run the engine,its not the gear lube it runs out prety good for about 5 minutes after i shut the motor of,is this normal,what could it be,I also have automatic choke operation,on the motor is a black lever,the lever readout has broke off,from what I can tell it says Rich,Lean where is this lever suppose to be,in the middle,left or right when running the motor,I believ i bumped it when I pulled the motor cover off.Any help on this would be appreciated,Thanks Pete.
6/25/2010
tom
tom, Marine Mechanic
Hello I'm Tom and I'll be happy to help you, to turn the impeller in the correct direction, you turn the driveshaft clockwise as you put the waterpump housing down over it, the pump needs to be submerged to prime, after the boat is underway enough water is present to maintain a positive pump pressure, the residue sounds like a normal side effect of these motors as they leave some fuel unburned and it washes out the black exhaust residue, the choke can be adjusted according to conditions, (if its cold out then more may be required) the rich and lean adjustment could be causing some of the excess fuel you see on the water, you can try a little in the lean direction, if it begins to cough then it needs more (or richer) I hope I've answered your questions satisfactorily, if so please click the accept button and leave some positive feedback, you can still ask follow-up questions afterward, thank-you, Tom
do you have a pic of the impeller direction?
Hello again Pete, I don't have a picture other than the parts break down, it will not show the impellers direction, but if you turn the driveshaft to the right (clockwise) when you put the housing down over it, it will be turned in the right direction, I will keep looking to see if I can find a picture the best describes this, thank-you Tom

so do the impeler fins curve clockwise when seated on the lower unit or counterclockwise?

Also I have a small hose lekaing some kind of oil it looks like on the top of the engine just below the air inlet for the engine,very small hose that is crakced it runs to the drivers side of the motor,what is this hose and can any type of hose be installed to replace it?

Let me know,Thanks Pete.

Hi again, if you are looking down on the impeller,on the gearcase, when the vanes are wound into the housing they would be pointing counter clockwise, because when you turn the driveshaft clockwise as you place the housing down, the friction of the housing holds them as the hub of the impeller goes in the clockwise direction, that leaves them pointing in a counter clockwise direction. The hose you are talking about is a recirculating line and should be replaced with a fuel/alcohol resistant type of hose. this may also reduce some of the excess fuel present on the water when you run your engine,-thanks --Tom

Edited by tom on 6/25/2010 at 5:04 PM EST
tom
tom, Marine Mechanic
ok thank you for your info,thanks Pete
Thank you Pete, Tom

one more question if you dont mind,I got the impeller in properly now,I will test it soon,but I have this black lever that turns round and round just above the carb air inlet,half of the plate is broke off which had the settings printed on it so I cant read what this lever is for,I can turn it all the way to the right and it stops,I havent tried turning it all the way to the left to see how far it goes but it will make at least two complete turns to the left as I know of right now.Where should this lever be turned to,is it for fuel mixture?

This isnt the choke or idle lever as I have found those,just need to know what this lever is for and where I should turn it to.Hoping to fire it up today to test impeller but I want to know what this lever is for.Also should water always come out of the exhaust port or only when the thermostat opens and if it does have to wait for thermostat to open how long before I should see water coming out of this exhaust port?

Thanks again,Pete.

Thanks Pete.

Hello Pete, what you are describing above the carb opening is the idle mixture adjustment. turn it in until it seats (lightly) then open it up 1 1/4 turns, this may vary a little depending on the wear of the needle. You may not see a lot of water present at the exhaust port until you put the motor under a load, the thermostat should only take a few minutes to open (depending on the water temp) but you should see some water coming from the exhaust. Thanks--Tom

But I should see some water all the time even spits of water regardless am I right?

Thanks Pete.

yes there should be some water coming out, ---Tom
got her running right,good water flow,thank you for your help with all of this,Thanks Pete.
Outstanding! thanks Pete..................Tom