Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Hi, my 3 carbs became VERY gunked up throughout on my 1998…

Hi, my 3 carbs became...
Hi, my 3 carbs became VERY gunked up throughout on my 1998 Evinrude E25RMEC 25 hp. I bought the rebuild kits and the engine now screams. However, the red light is on constantly, now. In the last couple of weeks, as I was attempting to determine what might be wrong, it would only come on as I ran the engine at med to hi speed and the engine would sporadically speed up a little (i.e. run rough). There is plenty of oil in the reservoir. Thoughts?
6/25/2010
tom
tom, Marine Mechanic
Hello I'm Tom and I'll be happy to help you, it sounds like you my have some fuel restriction issues, there may be some of the same residue that was in your carbs partially blocking the pick-up in the tank or primer bulb or fuel filter, you could try another line and fuel tank to see if it opens up without surging, if it runs ok, take a look at the pick-up in the tank, the screen may be blocked or if your tank has an anti-siphon check valve, it may be sticking, it may be necessary to replace the primer bulb if the checks are faulty or sticking inside it, thanks ---Tom

Hi Tom,

I am presuming that you are talking about my fuel tank. I will check it tonight after work, but when I squeeze the bulb the fuel will freely flow out of the line (when disconnected just before the carbs). Also, when I'm running now, I can squeeze the bulb hard and it doesn't affect the light at all.

Hello and thanks Nathan, I would recheck all the screens and filters on the fuel pumps and be sure the oil mixer is clean (#50), old fuel can sometimes leave deposits here, you can run Seafoam through the system and many times this will clear any residue out, Thanks TomDiagram of  Evinrude Parts 1998 E25RMECA 1998 FUEL SYSTEM Diagram

Edited by tom on 6/25/2010 at 3:02 PM EST

Tom,

I'll try it this evening and let you know. Thanks and I'll be in touch.

Thanks Nathan......

Hi Tom,

That seemed to solve the red light issue, but, the engine still runs sporadically as I mentioned earlier. I was able to get it to run a top speed for a few minutes...ran real good, but then it sputtered and slowed back about 30%...kind of gives a hollow sound as it does this...when I stripped and rebuilt the carbs, the small adjustment needle valve was removed and cleaned, however, I'm not sure about the way to set them and how to tweak them for optimum efficiency. Might they be the cause. I started by screwing them in all the way, then I backed them off 2 full turns...tried to start it...no go...1 more turn...no go...I ended up coming out about 5 or 6 turns total before I could get it going. Now it will sporadically jump between running at maximum (very smooth sounding) speed and that throttled back 70% speed as mentioned above...when I run at about 30% throttle, it will jump about. I'm almost ready to take her fishing, but I can't trust her yet.

Hello again Nathan, I'm glad the issue is resolved with the light, but there seems to still be an issue with the carbs, the engine should maintain speed, the starting point of two and one half turns should be rich enough that you could tweak them back toward the leaner setting of two and a quarter turns, it sounds like there is still something in the fuel system causing restriction, the problem everyone seems to be having nowadays is the ethanol in our gas. It affects rubber, plastic, causing them to break down, it mixes with water and leaves behind what you found in your carbs, "gunk", that residue can be hard to eliminate, I would pull the drainscrews from the carburetors and allow some of the fuel to run out on some clean paper towel and have a close look for contaminates, the adjustment needles can be adjusted out a little, but 5 or 6 turns is too much, if it takes that much somethings still in the carbs, it may mean you have to go back through them again, but a fuel problem can cause you some serious engine damage, let me know how this goes, thanks -XXXXX XXXXX

Edited by tom on 6/28/2010 at 12:02 AM EST

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response...as timing would have it, my boat is governed by the tides, and at the moment, high tide is around 2, so, since I work during the days, i won't be able to test drive it again until probably Thursday or Friday. I checked the fuel coming out of the drain plug and found it was very clean with a slight hint of green...the oil is a XXXXX XXXXXish blue that is in the oil reservoir. I will let you know how I make out with the settings of the needles. Thanks.

Also, You have been very generous with your time and obviously very helpful. I would like to release the funds to you for your efforts. If I press the accept button will I lose the ability to continue with this issue?

Good morning Nathan, after you press accept you can still ask follow-up questions, (please leave positive feedback), just post back here when you are ready-----XXXXX XXXXX

Edited by tom on 6/29/2010 at 1:39 PM EST
tom
tom, Marine Mechanic

Hi Tom,

I took it out last night. I found that the choke wasn't operating correctly, so after solving that issue, I tried to start it with 2-1/2 turns out on the needle valve. Full choke, about 10 good hard pulls later, and she fired up. Left to idle, she would stall within a few seconds. If I played the choke (pushing it in and out) I could keep her running for 20 to 30 seconds. After learning that I wasn't going to survive by playing the choke, I took a chance and quickly put it into gear with about 30% throttle. It stayed running at that speed. Moved it up to 100% throttle and it seemed to do well. Drove around in circles for a few minutes, just to make sure she was warmed up, then throttled back to idle...she quit. Needle adjustment? Bring it to a boat mechanic? Undo the clamps, let it fall off the back and sink? I'm pretty confident that the carbs are in good shape. I put a lot of time into cleaning every crevice, nook and cranny.

Hi Nathan, if the adjustments were out but then motor was running feathering the choke, then go for the richer settings you had before and after the engine has time to warm up, gradually try to go leaner, when the motor shudders or sneezes thats a lean indication, just work each one a little at a time (like 5 minute increments on a clock) until you can get a satisfactory idle, I would order a service manual from a dealer before taking it to a mechanic, the manual will walk you through a process of sync and link (carb synchronization and linkage adjustments) that will be invaluable, in addition you will have info on the motor that covers everything you may incur over the years, I normally don't just tell people to go get a book, but this is a complicated process " that you can do" with the step by step instructions it provides. It'll save you the cost of a mechanic and you'll get your boat out quicker, let me know how the adjusting goes first. Thanks---Tom

Edited by tom on 7/2/2010 at 3:32 PM EST