Jason
Jason, Boat and Mechanical Expert
Experience:  10 yrs. running and working at my boat dealership.
25765976

I am looking at two flat boats 1998 Action Craft 18 special

Customer Question

I am looking at two flat boats 1998 Action Craft 18' special edition and a 1999 Maverick 17' Mirage II. Excluding the outboards any thoughts on fishing the flats in the backcountry below the everglades?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 8 years ago.
They are both good boats. In my opinion the Maverick is a better built boat, and sold for a little more than the Action Craft. Neither is very comfortable in a chop due to a lack of deadrise on the entry of the hull. Deciding between the two really comes down to what you want to do with the boat. The Maverick is a specialized poling boat. Its chines stay below the water at all times to deliver very little hull slap when poling or using a trolling motor. The Action Craft battles hull slap by having a rounded chine, with a molded in spray rail well above the water. I have run both boats, and find the Maverick to run drier. A decent and dry ride can be achieved by using the tabs to raise the windward side when running beam to or quartering the seas. The Maverick's hull is narrower to facilitate easier poling. The downside to this is the Action Craft is more stable when moving about the boat. As mentioned before, the fit and finish of the Maverick is superior to the Action Craft. Both boats will work for what you want. Try to wet test them both before making a decision. The Maverick will definitely be easier to pole because of its lower overall weight and narrower hull. Maverick almost has a cult following. The mirage was an improved version of the Dolphin Super Skiff, and was the inspiration for many of the newer and much lighter poling skiffs. The resale will be better with the Maverick. I think you can probably tell that I would lean towards the Maverick in this case. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Jason