Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Hello, I have a problem that has been tormenting me for three…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a problem...
Hello, I have a problem that has been tormenting me for three weeks now. The boat runs fine at wide open throttle. When at idle It does run good when cold for about 1 minute after that it loads up, gas runs out the top of the carb. I have had the carb rebuilt two times; it has the same problem every time. So I ordered a new one, Quad 4 barrel Rochester standard equipment for the boats motor and year. The motor in the boat is a 350 Chevy motor 1991 Larson boat.
I have also replaced the fuel pump with O.M.E. I have installed a fuel filter between the Carb and the fuel pump and of course there is one in the carb also. There is also a fuel and water separator filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. I have flushed out the fuel line I am beginning to think it is not the carb. The fuel pressure is 5 to 7 pounds at idle. Is there anything else that would cause this problem?
The motor runs great otherwise. Is there a module for ignition system that could cause this problem? The fuel in the boat is last year’s yet. I have never had a problem with that in the past. I have owned the boat for 15 years. I had a complete tune up done two years ago.
I have two batteries with a selector switch for them. The boat was run with one of the ground cable off for a short time maybe three miles when a battery was replaced. It seems like the problem started then. I would think that would only damage or affect the charging system and that work's fine?
Do you have any recommendations at all on solving this problem? I would sure appreciate it….
Thank you very much!!!!
Dave
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/24/2010
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

If you hook a vacuum gauge to the carb at idle what is it reading?

Who did the adjustments to the carb once put on?

Does it start to run rough and right when it almost or fully stalls is when the gas overfills the bowls?

Thanks,

Joe