Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Hi, I have an Optimax 2001 225, the upper oil tank will drain…

Customer Question
Hi, I have an Optimax 2001...
I have an Optimax 2001 225, the upper oil tank will drain out into the lower tank if the engine is tilted for a week or so. The answer so far is start the engine, take cover off and loosen cap and let air out and top tank fills and I'm good to go . The pressure is fine on the oil to get the oil moving to the top tank. I'm guessing but there has to be a better way. Check valve, primer pump on the oil line etc...
Thanks
Doug
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/24/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
First of all check the cap and gasket on the oil tank. Also check the sensor on the top of the tank. They must be tight, if you get an air leak then the oil could drain.
You can take off the tank, drain it and pressurize it with about 3-5# XXXXX air and look for leaks with soap bubbles. If the tank isn't leaking it shouldn't drain. I suspect the carb gasket is worn, although check the cap neck for any deformities or cracks.