Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I HAVE TWIN MERCRUISERS ,ONE OUTDRIVE GOES UP & DOWN FINE THE…

Customer Question
I HAVE TWIN MERCRUISERS ,ONE...
I HAVE TWIN MERCRUISERS ,ONE OUTDRIVE GOES UP & DOWN FINE THE OTHER ONE GOES UP BUT NOT DOWN. IF I LET IT SIT OVER NIGHT IT WILL BE DOWN IN THE MORNING. THEY HAVE THE 3 BUTTON CONTROLER, THE ONE THAT WORKS OK, IPUSH THE MIDDLE BUTTON( DOES NOTHING)TILL I PUSH UP OR DOWN THEN IT WORKES. THE ONE THAT WONT GO DOWN, WHEN I HIT THE MIDDLE BUTTON, IT GOES UP, WHES I HOLD IT DOWN & HIT EATHER OTHER BUTTON IT ONLY GOES UP. ONE SHOP TOLD ME, IT MIGHT BE AN AJUSTMENT, NOT SURE. THE WIRING SEEMS OK, & I PUT POWER TOO 2 PLACES, THAT I THOUGHT WOULD BE UP OR DOWN OR THE OTHER WAY AROUND, THEY BOTH GO UP ONLY. PLEASE CAN U HELP ME OUT? THANK U ED
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/22/2010
Marine Mechanic: K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
The drive should go down with only the bottom button. The center button should bring the drive part way up and to get it the rest of the way up you push the top and center buttons at the same time. Thats how it is supposed to work. There is a sender for the gage and a trim limit switch on the sides of the drive. If the trim limit switch fails, you need to push both top buttons to make the drive go up at all. If one drive will not go down you have either a switch that is no good or a faulty solenoid. There should be two solenoids on the trim pump. When you push the down button, do you hear a click on the one that doesn't work?
NO I DO NOT HEAR A CLICK, JUST THE SOUND OF THE PUMP
On the drive that will not go down, does the pump run but the leg doesn't move or does it go up even with the bottom button?
Just read over your original post, if the drive is leaking down overnight there must be an internal leak if you aren't finding trim oil somewhere. It could be the cause of the leg not going down. Do you find oil in your bilge?
THE PUMP RUNS BUT IT ONLY GOES UP& NO OIL ANYWHERE THAT I CAN SEE. I JUST TOOK BOTH LIMIT SWICHES APART & THEY DID NOT LOOK REAL GOOD, SO I CLEANED THEM UP & I WILL MAKE NEW GASKETS, BEFORE I PUT BACK ON. I DID TRY WITH THEM CLEANED UP, BUT NOT ON & STILL ONLY WANTS 2 GO UP
What happens if you push only the bottom button on the side that will not go down?
IT GOES UP OR IF IT IS ALREADY UP IT JUST RUNS
Has anyone had trim hoses off for any reason? Also do you know how to check and fill the trim fluid?
I TOOK THE PUMP OUT TO SEE IF THE SHOP COULD CK 4 ME THEY COULDNT SO I PUT IT BACK ON DID NOT FILL CUZ IT WAS STILL FULL. ITHOUGHT THE SAME THING, BLEED IT BUT NOT SURE HOW 2, ANY WAY THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE
The system is self-bleeding if its working. If you reverse the hoses on one of the trim cylinders it could do something like this. The back fitting on the trim cylinder needs to go to the back fitting on the transom connector. This is true for both sides but because the ports are staggered on the cylinder, it is deceptive and may seem like it should go the wrong way on one side. If the trim cylinders were disconnected, examine the hose connections carefully and be sure that they go front to front and rear to rear on both sides..
OK I JUST BOUGHT THE BOAT MAYBE 3 4 MONTHS AGO, THE GUY TOLD ME THAT HE NEVER PUT THEM UP OR DOWN, SO IM NOT SURE WHAT HAS BEEN DONE, I WILL CK THE HOSES OUT TOMORROW IN THE DAY LITE, ALSO, THERE IS ONLY 1 SOLANOID PER SIDE I WAS THINKING OF SWAPING THEM, BUT I TOLD MYSELF, THATS NOT IT, OR SHOULD I TRY IT ANYWAY? NEED 2 GO 4 NOW, I WILL GET BACK IN THE MORNING, THANK U ED
OK