Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Hey I too have a crakked block on a 4.3 chevy and need to remove…

Customer Question
Hey I too have a...
Hey I too have a crakked block on a 4.3 chevy and need to remove from my '88 17' Sunbird Corsair mated to a 175 hp omc outdrive. do I have to remove the outdrive? and how do I remove the engine from the boat?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/22/2010
Marine Mechanic: K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
There is a splined shaft plugged into the engine coupler, you will need to remove the drive to pull the engine. You will need a hoist of some kind, automotive type hoists do not reach high enough to pull the engine from a boat except for rare cases. You need to disconnect everything attached to the engine and put a lifting chain on it and hoist it out. Wiring harness, motor mount bolts on both side and rear mounts, battery cables, exhaust bellows, shift and throttle cables, fuel line all need to be disconnected.