Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Jason, I changed the manifolds and the elbow, tested and…

Customer Question
Jason, I changed the...
Jason,

I changed the manifolds and the elbow, tested and didn't solve the problem, changed the thermostat, 165 degrees, didn't fix either. What woudl you try next, the boat is in the water, my marina suggests hauling it out and taking off hoses to look for clog. The joint between the manifold and elbow was about 50% clogged on the old manifolds with rust build up. There was some rust in the thermostat manifold, I cleaned it out. When I remover the thermostat housing I could feel some accumulation of sediment in the block, flakes of rust and / or sand, not much though just a few grains. There is definetly water pumping, when I put the new manifold on I skipped one plug and it poured out. I mentioned to you earlier I had the outdrive bellows replaced in the spring. I am wondering if they assembled somethign wrong? Finally the boat runs fine at 3300 - 3500 rpm, at WOT it overheats quickly, the temp gague pegs and alarm goes off. I will shut it down or go to idle. The temp gague stays pegged for about for 15 - 30 seconds, then the temp drops dramatically, as if the thermostat pops open, or it takes that long for the water to reach the block. Then it runs fine again. I don't normally run at WOT except to get on plane, I'm sure this is an indicator of a problem that I would like to fix for peace of mind.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/21/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Boat and Mechanical Expert replied 8 years ago
Jason
Jason, Boat and Mechanical Expert
Would not be a bad idea to pull, and remove some hoses to flush any residual rust/sediment. Sounds like it was definitely time to change them. Possible the bellows installation is not done properly, but doubtful, as this is not too complicated. Can not remember if you said the impeller in the outdrive and the water pump had been changed, but that would not be a bad idea either, especially if it has been over two years since it has been done. Let me know.