Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Hi I have a 1989 mercruiser 5.0 litre we just put a new block…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 1989...
Hi I have a 1989 mercruiser 5.0 litre we just put a new block in. It is a EFI .
customer took it out and ran great.Ran for 15 minutes and was watching oil pressure guage and was good.Took out the next day and started it and watched oil pressure and was at 0. Checked the motor and oil all over the bilge. One of our guys forgot to cover up a plug on the left side. It looks like there should be a plate there. Is the for a mechanical fuel pump. Would there be any engine damage or do we let it go.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/21/2010
Marine Mechanic: K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Depends how long it ran with no oil, put the cover on, fill with fresh oil and run it. If the oil pressure is normal and there is no knocking or tapping you got lucky.If there is excessive blow-by or knocking you did some damage.

Edited by K.Kergan on 6/21/2010 at 3:22 AM EST
I did put fresh oil in and their is no knocking- is that piece on the left side of the motor for a mechanical fuel pump ...
Yes, on the left looking at the front that would be for the mechanical fuel pump.