Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have I/O -- running fine- hit a wave - lost all electrical…

Customer Question
Have I/O -- running fine-...
Have I/O -- running fine- hit a wave - lost all electrical to engine. The radio, fan, bilge work fine... I have no electrical to the ignition, starter etc...dead....my guages stayed stuck were they were when the engine shut down....tach, temp etc...all read what they were -- Not the Battery

Cheked and cleaned the terminals and connections, checked fuses, no idea whats up...any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/20/2010
Marine Mechanic: James, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
James, Marine Mechanic

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer.

A couple of things to look at.

First, check the engine plug. Make sure it hasn't worked it's way loose. Then check the square fuse attached to the starter, It should have power to both sides. The battery cable that is attached to the starter has power, correct? If not, check the battery selector switch.

Have you pressed the red reset button on the top of the motor?

I had tried all of these things, and this answer does not get me any closer to resolving my issue...I will have to have a mechanic on the boat to help trace out and find the short or what ever it is.

Sorry

Would you like to continue working on the problem with me? There are more things we can look into.

I will have to get back to you about this a little later --

Ok sir.

Just make sure you post back thru this question so that you are not charged again.