Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1968 35 hp merc motor and I cant get it into neutral…

Customer Question
I have a 1968 35...
I have a 1968 35 hp merc motor and I can't get it into neutral so thet it can start. Any sugestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/20/2010
Marine Mechanic: capt ron 1959, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
capt ron 1959
capt ron 1959, Marine Mechanic

Hello,it is most likely the reverse lock hook ,there is a cam on the lower unit,you have to pull the lower unit off to get to the cam,that moves a shaft up and locks the motor down when going in reverse,the cam will wear and the lock won't work properly,if you pull the pin at the clamp bracket that adjust the angle of the engine,it should be a stainless pin,see if the engine raises,you can then look under the center section-exhaust housing and see the reverse lock,it may also be bent in to far and not want to release,once you have the engine tilted up,see if it shifts now,if so you know it is in the reverse lock assembly.Hope this helped,let me know if I can help anymore.Thanks.

Capt Ron

capt ron 1959
capt ron 1959, Marine Mechanic
it seems to be stuck in forward gear