Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 75 115 Evinrude on a recently purchased Whaler. I…

Customer Question
I have a '75 115...
I have a '75 115 Evinrude on a recently purchased Whaler. I have used the boat several times, but apparently I have placed the tilt in the full up (trailer?) position and cannot figure how to release it. Tilt pump motor runs and it will raise the engine, but will only lower it an inch or 2 until it seems to be hitting a stop. There is a lever and cam on the L side of the engine which I can operate but it does not release; is there a second lock underneath? It looks like there is a spring loaded latch that I cannot release. The boat is in the water so it is difficult to both see and reach, and the repair manual for the motor doesn't address operation. Any ideas?
JH Bahn - not very smart new guy
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/20/2010
Marine Mechanic: Shane Creekmore, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Shane Creekmore
Shane Creekmore, Marine Mechanic
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this.
The lever on the port "left" side of your motor should be the the only thing holding you up. Try trimming as high as it will go then pulling the lever all the way forward then push it back all the way down. It may be getting stuck. The lever should be all the way down for your motor to trim down.
If I answered your question please click accept and leave positive feedback.
If you have any follow up questions let me know and we will go from there.
That is pretty much what I have done. If it is getting stuck, where should I look?
Yhx.
JH
Look inside the transom brackets on both sides of the motor about a two or three inches back from where the steering cable goes through. Sometime you will have a small tab that folds down to lock it into place. If you see this you may have to tap the bottom side of it to get it to pop out. Once again the motor will have to be all the way up to get it to move.
The tab is different from the lever described above? Is there a tab on each side (I am away from the boat abd will not be able to do this until Tuesdat nite at the earliest.
Yes on most motors you have a second tab just for trailering to make sure the motor does not come down if you hit a bump during transport.
If you run into any problems when you get there let me know. I check my messages constantly.
Thanks,
Shane
No soution with either the solutions. I also loosened the manual hydraulic release without success. I opened the fill plug and verified that the the unit is full of fluid. No idea what to do next.
JH
JH