Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I just bought a 1996 waverunner, it is a wr500r.I installed…

Customer Question
I just bought a 1996...
I just bought a 1996 waverunner, it is a wr500r.I installed a new battery and it turns over just fine but won't fire.I disconnected the kill switch,still nothing.I put a tester on the plug wire while it was cranking and it showed no spark.What should I do next? Jason.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/20/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 8 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Welcome, your going to need a good hand held volt meter and DVA to check that the trigger and stator is good. But first i would cut back the spark plug boots and re-crimp them. i have seen the wires go bad, so cutting them back help big time
The tester I have was placed on the wire about 2 inches from the end and showed no spark.I didn't check at the plug itself.Jason.
You can unscrew a spark plug from the engine and plug it into the boot and lay the plug on the head of the engine and crank it.
You should see spark on the tip of the spark plug.
Still no spark.
Ok and to verify.
You disconnected the plug with the black and white wire in it correct?
I didn't disconnect any wire that was black and white.I only checked the spark at the plug as you suggested.
When you lift the hood at the front near the hinge is a connector.
One has a red wire and brown wire. The other connector has a black wire and a white wire.
Pull the one apart that has the black wire and the white wire.
Then crank it over again and check for spark with the plug lying on the head.
Already tried that,I think.Is that the stop button/kill switch.The red and brown go to the starter solenoid right?
Yes that's correct.
So if you've done that next pop open the electrical box and there's an inline fuse under the threaded cap on the side of the box.
make sure that's good.

If that's good take the electrical box apart and you'll have to test the ignition coil.
Pull the leads off the back. And set a meter to ohms.
The reading on those leads should be 0.078-0.106
Next pull the plug boots off the wires and connect your leads to the inside of each plug wire. The reading should be 14.3-30.5k ohms

Next disconnect the wires from the stator to the cdi.
Find the White/Red and put your positive lead on that wire.
Then find the black wire and put your negative lead on that.
The reading should be 12.6 - 15.4 ohms

Do those and if you find nothing let me know and we'll move on.
I have already checked the coil and it looks good.I haven't had time yet to check the rest.
No worries let me know what you find and if you need further assistance.
I am not to familiar with using ohms on my meter but I get a reading of 0.3 on the coil and 7.2 on the white/red wire
If that reading is correct that says both items are no good.

So since I can't test it to be sure I must go with the results you give and that tells me that both items need replaced.

Before you go spending that kind of money on that ski I would suggest you borrow or buy a different meter just to verify the readings.
It's not very common for two components to be bad at the same time.

If you do get to the point of buying parts you'll find you can buy the whole electrical box and stator for about $200 online used.
I had another meter and got .4 on the coil and 11.9 on the white/red
That's still out of spec
The stator reading is close though so it might still work.
The coil reading is way too high though.
At this point I would change the coil
Did you check the fuse in the electrical box?

Edited by Jeremy Railsback on 6/25/2010 at 9:55 PM EST
I really got to work on it today.I have no reading from the coil wires.The coil is dead.I ordered another one today.