Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1985 Eddtide in/out 18 pleasure boat that I just…

Customer Question
I have a 1985 Eddtide...
I have a 1985 Eddtide in/out 18' pleasure boat that I just started up after about a year.
After replacing the battery and fresh gas the engine started right up and everything seemed to be OK. However, when I tried to lower the outdrive unit, it would not go down after pressing both down buttons on the throutle which lowers the shaft and prop into the water. Since I live on the water and the boat sits on a hydrohoist I would need to know if it can be fixed in place so as not to have it towed to a dock and taken out on the trailer and taken to a repair shop. I have not had any experience with an in/out drive although I have a 33' cruiser and 2 jet skis. Can you give some info on what I should look for, etc. is it electrical, fluid needed, fuse, etc. Thank You!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/19/2010
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Does you trim make any noise and could I get a serial number please?
No noise from the trim when I push the buttons as has happended in the past. The serial no is as best as I can read on the plate on the outdrive shaft is A356CC3. It is very faint.
Go to the trim pump check the cables for voltage 12v. there is a red and black about the size of a pencil in diameter. There is 2 solenoids the red connects to a small square box this is a fuse check the metal plate that connects the 2 solenoids together and a terminal the black connects to. If there is no voltage to the plate the fuse is blowngraphic There is a harness of 3 wires going to the trim switch that has a fuse inline 15 amp fuse check the fuse. If fuse ok and you have voltage on the red and black activate the trim switch the solenoid should have 12 on the blue wire trimming up and 12v on the green terminal trimming down. The top solenoid is up trim and the bottom solenoid is the down solenoid.If you get just clicking a no voltage to the large colored wires solenoids are bad.

Edited by Tan Partin on 6/19/2010 at 10:46 PM EST

Tan:

After further looking, I believe the small motor that sits off to the side of the engine is not working. I get no resopnse from the buttons on the starting handle which leads me to believe the little motor on top of the reservior is no longer working. I am going to remove it and try to replace it if I can find one for a something that old. Thanks for your input but with everything else electrical is working, so I have to believe its the motor that moves the shaft propeller up and down. Especially since I get no response at all when pressing the bottons. And the fact I have no idea how old that little motor is?

Thanks anyway!!

Remove the blue and green wire touch either one to a battery positive this will bypass all electrical and determine if the motor is bad.