Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 99 Merc ELPT 50 horse fourstroke, with a merc motor…

Customer Question
I have a 99 Merc...
I have a 99 Merc ELPT 50 horse fourstroke, with a merc motor control. This morning it would not crank after starting and running fine earlier today. I cleaned the terminals, checked the connections, nothing. Finally I beat on the starter and solenoid. It would crank. Then it wouldn't. Then it did again, got it started and I headed home. On the way putt-putting home slowly, I tagged a stump, which killed the motor since I was juste above an idle. No banging on anything would start the motor. So I jumped the solenoid after setting the ignition in the on position. Fired right up. Okay, probably a bad solendoid, I thought at first. But here is the kicker....the trim switch on the throttle handle doesn't work now either, even the the one on the side of the motor works fine still. Is there something in the controls that could be causing this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/19/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 8 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Welcome, it could be in the box, but it sounds like the starter relay is bad on the motor. if you get me the serial number off motor i will post up the manuals for you so we both have an understanding what to look at
Serial no. og763993. It's either a 98 or a 99. For some reason it has both numbers on the title. One place says year built -98 and another says year- 99. I think the model no. is elpto50 or elpt50. Can't hang my ass out far enough over the transom to see for sure. 4 stroke 50 carburerated, with standard lower unit, power tilt.
Dude, the Mercury shop closes in 30 minutes and it'll take me 15 to get there. You got an idea yet? Don't want to be bank fishing all weekend.
Are we done? I guess I don't have an anwer yet. Should I repost? Merc shop is closed, so there is nothing I can do till Monday.
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
Chances are the starter solenoid is bad, however if you banged hard enough on the starter you could have damaged the starter as well. Inside the case are magnets, when tapped the break and the starter becomes very inefficient.
As for the trim look for a pulled wire back at the engine.
Jeff
No, I didn't bang on the starter that hard. All I had was a pair of pliers to tap on it with. I wish I had more confidence in your answer. They want 84 bucks for the solenoid, and I'm not into troubleshooting by parts changing, especially when Merc won't take electrical parts back. I find the trim switch on the stick quitting at the same time too weird of a cooincidence. It was working earlier this morning, like the starter. I thought maybe a bad ground in the control box, but I took it apart and ran a seperate dedicated ground wire Internally, a number of wires are grounded to the case of the throttle control box including the ignition switch, and the case is in turn grounded only by the two bolts tying the case to the boat. There was dissimilar metal corrosion between the aluminum case, the ss bolts, and the aluminum mount on the boat. But the dedicated ground wire didn't work either. And I haven't screwed with any other wires either, the lake wasn't rough, etc. Is there an inline fuse or fuseable link I might be overlooking? I cleaned all connections at the battery and retightened them as well as the cable connections on the solenoid and starter.. I thought maybe a bad ignition switch, but it does run if I turn the ignition to on and jump the solenoid. And there is no clicking at all at the solenoid when I try the key. I've had bad solenoids on other boats, but I can normal hear the internal mechanical relay trying to kick in. I figure they normally crap out because they get bad internal contacts on the high amperage starter side, which does have enough juice to burn contacts. Can solenoids be tested?.
On your solenoid you have two big and two small terminals.
One large terminal goes to the starter the other terminal has battery voltage. So you want 12+ volts here.
There are two small terminals one is a ground.
The other one is the start wire from the key switch.
When the key is turned to start you should have 12+ volts here as well as the battery voltage on the large terminal.
If you have voltage on the small terminal and no voltage on the large terminal to the starter then the solenoid is bad. If you have voltage to the starter when the key is turned to start, but the starter does not turn then the starter is bad.
There is a fuse in the line going to the starter solenoid. yellow 20 amp spade fuse. Look for a fuse holder coming off the main engine harness.
The control box does not have to be grounded.
The starter solenoid is about $45.
I will test the solenoid, as you recommended. I will seach the lines for a fuse holder, but because the problem was intially intermittent, I don't think I will find a blown fuse, but will keep my eyes open for poor connections. There were a number of wires (3 or 4) taken to a grounding point inside the control box, to the case. It may be grounded back through a different line, so that it works on glass boats too. (Mine is aluminum, a 17 foot Lund). I will get back with you. I'm gonna have to drag the boat to the ramp and get it on the trailer to do all this. If I find all or any part of the problem, I will be glad to pay you and thank you for your help. I still don't understand why the tilt switch on the stick quit at the same time. I don't want to be hanging my butt out over the transom to trim the boat out a speed off the switch on the motor itself.
The switch could be bad or a bad connection. The trim switch has 3 wires one hot and up and down. The ground connection in the box is only a convenient place for a ground connection between the harness, key switch etc.