Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1996 Seadoo Bombadier GSX which is well maintained…

Customer Question
I have a 1996 Seadoo...
I have a 1996 Seadoo Bombadier GSX which is well maintained and is in excellent condition. I'm experiencing issues with the trim, which seems to be stuck at the middle. When I press the trim button I hear a clicking with no action. It won't go up and won't go down.

I also am experiencing another issue with the dash electronics. Everything has gone blank and no dash electronics are working.

I appreciate any feedback you can provide.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/18/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 8 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Welcome, first double check the battery condition and the battery cables, a weak battery or bad battery would cause these issue on the ski, have you check it?
Battery condition is good. It was purchased near the end of last year.
only way to tell if a battery is good is, charge it overnight then you do a load test. if you get nothing on the screen, it is either a bad battery, bad connections, blown fuse, or the DESS key is dirty, try cleaning the DESS key with a pencil eraser
The jetski starts without a problem. That leads me to believe that the battery is just fine and it has been checked. It is nearly brand new. As I said earlier, the dash electronics are not working and the trim does not operate and is stuck in the middle. Do you have any additional thoughts?
You can pop off the cover of the trim module and remove the motor.
Behind that you'll find a worm gear. On the top of that gear is a slide that keeps that gear lined up inside the housing.
Make sure it's lined up ok.

As far as your gauges go check your fuses on the fuse block.
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

Is this just the Info gauge that is not working or both the info gauge and the speedo?

Also it is very common for the OEM boot to get holes/tears and the vts motor will fill with water and rot out and fails, you most lkly need a new vts motor and boot kit:

http://www.seadoosource.com/vtsbootupgrade.html

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe

Here is a location if the motor is rusted or shot to obtain another cheaper then oem:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=gsx&_kw=seadoo&_kw=vts

And here is the vts boot update kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Have-Sea-Doo-w-Trim-U-Need-OEM-VTS-Boot-Update-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cae6f4cd9QQitemZ260624567513QQptZPersonalQ5fWatercraftQ5fParts

Thanks,

Joe

I dont' mean to interject but you can also test that motor when you take it off.
It has 2 wires.
Just hook one up to 12 volts positive and the other to ground.
Then you can switch the wires and it will just run the other way.

Edited by Jeremy Railsback on 6/25/2010 at 9:57 PM EST