Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I just purchased a 1997 SP and while I was cleaning it up (The…

Customer Question
I just purchased a 1997...
I just purchased a 1997 SP and while I was cleaning it up (The unit has been winterized but not run in two years-----very dirty) I notice oil dripping from the rear jet. I can't image this is normal and I'm thinking that the seals dried out. Does this make any sense or could it be worse?
Denis
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/16/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 8 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Welcome,
The only oil that would drip from the jet pump is the hypoid oil for the pump bearings.
The cone on the rear of the pump has an o-ring that seals it against the pump. However sometimes the cones crack. You'll have to pull the steering nozzle and the venturi nozzle to get a good look at the cone.
Three screws hold it to the pump.
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Thank you for using justanswer.com, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you with your concern today.

The allen set screw in these comes have been known to leak after service, refer to the diagram below for jet pump, there is 1 large o-ring that seals the cone to the jetpump and then the allen screw which is always on the top, they have been known to crack you can pick up an anit-rattle nose cone kit for that model you will then need a bottle of the seadoo jetpump oil as well, do not substitute make sure to use only the seadoo pump oil, it is very uncommon for that o-ring to dry out but it can get brittle and could have been pinched from the last time it was serviced, its not a big deal at all really, however inspect the pump housing as well because the jet pump housing could be cracked and leaking, it could also have bad bearings in the pump as well causing it to leak so there are other things to look at, as it could even be leaking from the impeller side and running down to the nose cone and dripping.

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/Seadoo_OEM/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=13&A=41&B=30

Its very easy to get to if it has reverse then remove the bolt/nut that holds the cable to the gate (do not loosen any jam nuts on the bolts) then do the same for the steering cable then remove the 4 nozzel bolts and remove all that then you can inspect the nose cone and where the leak is coming from.

If you remove the nose cone make sure to use blue 243 thread lock on the bolts when you put back together.

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by ALL Around Tech on 6/16/2010 at 5:05 PM EST

Sp's don't have reverse. Disregard that statement.

The thing about the seals by the impeller is almost always the oil will drip out the intake grate and not through the nozzle. It's the way the impeller covers those seals.

And of course it makes a difference if the ski was sitting at an angle to let the oil run to the back.

I sure hope this helps.

Just be assured it's not exhaust since the exhaust comes through the hull seperate from the pump.

Incorrect, I have seen customers moddify it to have reverse and thats why I added that, its simple if it does not have reverse then no reason to worry about it!

Next 100% the impeller seals will leak towards the nose cone this is because 99% of the time while on a tailer the trailer jack is raised to drain water from the ski so that the bow is always higher then the stern which will cause the oil to run to the back of the ski.

As well since exhaust is brought up out of the blue also its very uncommon that it would not be jetpump oil however it the ski where ran and too rich on oil or too much oil for whatever reason the oil would cover the pump and could cause dripping however it would stop when done so theres almost no chance of oil from the exhaust. However it also could have been tilted up high causing oil sitting it the exhaust to leak onto the pump, but once again very unlikely.

I work on seadoos all the time so my info comes as very accurate knowledge.

As well as the jetpump as I indicated could be the problem and nothing to do with the nose cone.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by ALL Around Tech on 6/16/2010 at 5:37 PM EST
still need help with this?