Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1992 Yamaha 200 that has run for years with absolutely…

Customer Question
I have a 1992 Yamaha...
I have a 1992 Yamaha 200 that has run for years with absolutely minimal problems, I just replace the plugs every 2 years and change the foot oil every season. Went to the lake last week and the engine starts, but keeps cutting out unless the choke is toggled closed. Replaced the fuel separator and primer bulb, sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb intakes and cleaned the fuel filter, same result. Any ideas what to check next??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/16/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 8 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Welcome, your carb are varnished up, do not use starting fluid on any 2 stroke please, it washes away the 2 stroke oil. Any time you have to use the choke to keep the motor running that is a fueling issue with the carbs and or fuel pump. I would pull the carbs and rebuild them and replace the fuel pumps also and fuel filter and fuel lines

Haven't used starting fluid, just cleaner. Will this remove varnish or do the carbs have to be completely taken apart? I took the fuel pumps apart, they looked ok,

replaced fuel lines, filter is clean but it does seem like a fuel delivery problem.

you need to remove the carbs, no such thing as a mechanic in a can. fuel pumps are replaced every 5-6 years, they are under $40 each
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Marine Mechanic: Joe, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic

Please first check the fuel system for any fuel leaks or where air could be entering, remove the gas cap and see if it runs better as well fill the gas tank all the way up and see if it runs better as well. You can tear down the carbs all the way and see if you need to clean them or replace any gaskets, as well then make sure the carb to intake gaskets have no air leaks afterwards, you can test the fuel pumps instead of just replacing them by using a vacuum hand help manual pump tester.

As well if it does not start you can in fact spray a very tiny spray off starting fluid into the carbs only to see if it starts but do not continue to run the engine off of that.

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by ALL Around Tech on 6/16/2010 at 3:05 AM EST