Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1983 Mercruiser 260 that has had this problem since…

Customer Question
I have a 1983 Mercruiser...
I have a 1983 Mercruiser 260 that has had this problem since i got it several years ago - there is a relatively loud knocking/grinding sound when engaging/going into gear. I used to be able to just go into gear faster/stronger and it would clunk into gear, but now the problem has gotten worse and the grinding persists into higher RPM's. Where should i start? Cables, clutch? Any help would be appreciated as i don't have much experience working on Mercruiser engines. FYI, i have been reviewing other similar threads but they seem like slightly different problems and i would like to get to the heart of the problem, if possible. Thanks again.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/15/2010
Marine Mechanic: K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
It sounds like you are not going all the way into gear, is it the same sound as when you shift slowly into gear?

Is it the same sound as when you shift slowly into gear? Yes. A loud grinding like the gear is slipping or not engaing properly.

Although, like i said, it used to clunk into gear when moving the shifter farther into the forward position, but now the problem (grinding sound) remains even when it moving it forward into gear farther. I have it out of the water so i have tried to floor it though.

Most likely the shift cable needs to be replaced, you could take the aft cable off the shift bracket and try to shift it manually. If the cable does not slide freely all the way into gear, replace it. It is very common for the cable to need replacing.
There are two cables. One runs forward to the shifter, the other runs down towards the transom. Which one should i replace? And if that doesn't work any other ideas?
The rear cable is the one that usually gives the problem, Try shifting the rear cable by hand, it should move through the full travel quite easily. If it does not, it needs to be replaced. If the engine is running it should go into gear easily and be difficult to shift out of gear.
okay. going to give that a try. give me a little time to accept.
Ok