Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

1999 evinrude 115 gets warmed up than completely shuts down,

Customer Question
no spark, takes many hrs...
1999 evinrude 115 gets warmed up than completely shuts down, no spark, takes many hrs. before it will start again. what do ya think?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/14/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeff G., Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Welcome,
I will be happy to assist you. If you have a question or need clarification please post back at any time.
You have an electrical component overheating. You could have a blockage in the cooling water through the EMM (computer) of the engine. If the EMM gets too hot it will shut down. Are you getting any alarms?
There are other components that could be causing problems as well such as the stator and power panel.
Your Evinrude dealer or a qualified shop has the computer diagnostic software to put on your engine and he can run some tests and look for any trouble codes with the engine.
If the water pump impeller hasn't been changed in the last couple years I would do that as well. From your description it is heat related and you need everything running cool.
The EMM is the large silver box on the top back of the engine with the electrical plugs attached. Make sure the hose going into and out of the EMM is clear.
Your best bet would be to take it to the shop.
Please post back with any further questions.
Jeff
Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
no alarms go off before it dies, been 6 hrs and still no spark, any more advice
On the starboard side of the engine is the Power Distribution Panel PDP. Remove the cover, two knurled screws. Check all of the fuses and the relays on the left. The ones on the right are trim relays. Change the relays from the right to the left side. Crank the engine and see what happens. If it still doesn't crank it is time for a trip to the shop.
Jeff