Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a yamaha sx230 high output. Its an 07 model and im…

Customer Question
I have a yamaha sx230...
I have a yamaha sx230 high output. It's an 07 model and i'm having a strange problem. One engine is taching up to 10,400 while the other is at 8900. This happened to me before but the problem went away the next time i took it out. Is there an electronic throttle sensor? How do i find out what is causing this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/13/2010
Marine Mechanic: RSRBOB, Technician replied 8 years ago
RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Hi and thank you for your question.
I suggest starting out by pulling the spark plugs of the engine with the reduced peak RPM's and taking a look at them. While you are digging down to them, which is done by removing the top off the air box and the air filter, have a good look at the air filter and make sure it is not contaminated with oil. Your engines are semi dry sump design and can easily be over filled causing oil to contaminate the air filter and restrict air intake into the engine.
There is not an electronic throttle sensor that controls what you are talking about. It has a throttle position sensor but that is merely used for data input to control the ignition and fuel curves. It feeds data into the ECU to help determine what is the optimal timing and fuel delivery to maintain maximum efficiency. It has nothing to do with limiting peak performance. A subtle difference indeed but a failed TPS does not yield a symptom of reduced peak RPM's like you are experiencing.
Lets get a look at the air filter and spark plugs and see where we are at. Depending on what you find, we can proceed from there.
Thanks
RSRBOB