Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 93 Bayliner with a 305hp engine and a MerCruiser AlphaOne…

Customer Question
I have a 93 Bayliner...
I have a 93 Bayliner with a 305hp engine and a MerCruiser AlphaOne outdrive. Going down the lake it suddenly went into neutral and the motor was still racing. I shifted back and forth but to no avail. What should I look for and in what part of the outdrive? What is the best way to get the lower unit off?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/13/2010
Marine Mechanic: Jeremy R., MarineTechnician replied 8 years ago
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Welcome, it sounds like you could have spun the prop hub, get it on a trailer, put it in gear, if you can spin the prop easily then the shift cable could have gone bad or something internal, if you can not spin the prop easily and locks into gear, you spun the prop hub, which u can get a new one pressed in or get a new prop, what is the serial number of outdrive
I know its not the prop hub in fact i know its something internal. I'm asking what internal it could be, what should I look for?
ok well it could be the yoke, coupler, drive gear, pinion gears. once you pull the drive you will find out, first check the fluid in it, if it has water in it, then we know it is internally
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
sounds good. Do i drop the lower unit thats attached with 4 bolts plus the one just above the prop? If I do is there anything I need to look for while dropping it; i.e. shims, cables etc
Marine Mechanic: K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
It sounds like you sheared off the drive shaft
Drain the oil out before you drop the lower and check the top of the drive shaft for splines. If they are not there then there is a piece of the drive shaft stuck in the gear in the upper.