Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

How to by pass VRO 1984 90hp outboard

Customer Question
How to by pass VRO 1984 90hp outboard
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
6/12/2010
Marine Mechanic: Shane Creekmore, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Shane Creekmore
Shane Creekmore, Marine Mechanic
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this.
Are you wanting to do away with the whole fuel pump or just the oiling part so you can pre-mix and keep the late model fuel pump?
Dear Shane, do away with whole fuel pump and pre-mix in gas tank. Old motor and Old owner. Best way to go for boat not used often. Thanks, Dan
I understand. I never use the oil injection on any of my omc's. I will explain how to go to premix and still use that fuel pump if you want. It is a lot easier than having to completely remove it and put the old style pump back on.
First On the vro pump you will see three wires coming out going to one common plug. Disconnect this plug.Then disconnect the oil line coming in to your motor. Be sure to block off the line. You can either put a plastic cap on it or you can leave a small piece of the hose on and put a 5/16 bolt in the line secured with a hose clamp.
Then pre mix at 50:1 and you are all set.
If you would rather use the old style fuel pump let me know and I will get the replacement part numbers you need and send directions for it but it is a little more complicated.
If I have answered your question please click accept and leave positive feedback.
If you have any follow up questions let me know.
Thanks,
Shane
Dear Shane, Let me undersand. If I cut off oil only, do I need to replace fuel pump? Do I need any fuel pump? Can I direct fuel to carbs and be done with it? Thanks for your help.
If you cut off the oils supply and disconnect the wires to your vro pump the fuel pump will still work and you do not have to remove or change anything. The oil pump and the fuel pump are built together but when you eliminate the electrical and block the hose on your oil inlet then you will be working strictly off a vacuum fuel pump much similar to the old style fuel pump.
The only reason people swap out the new style fuel pump to the old style is whenever the fuel pump itself goes bad they are expensive and hard to rebuild.
Thanks,
Shane
Do you still need help wit this?
If I answered your question please click accept so I get credit for my time.
Thanks,
Shane