Jason Forsberg
Jason Forsberg, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  5 years experiece yamaha mechanic with knowledgeof all outboards
18810180

How do I add fluid to the tilt & trim hydraulics What fluid

Customer Question

How do I add fluid to the tilt & trim hydraulics? What fluid do I use?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason Forsberg replied 7 years ago.
Hi. You have to tilt the motor all the way up and then you will see a large head cap to remove and top up with ATF till it drips out. Reinstall cap and operate up and down a few times the recheck the level and add if needed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you.

The "large head" is in each of the 2 cylinders? Any ATF? A specific viscosity?

There is one large cap on the top right hand side of the trim system. Any atf will work.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

After I received the first answer I drove accross town to my boat. Not knowing where the the "cap" was or what it looked like, I removed three caps. The third one was the right one. I wish you would have told me it was an 11/16" bolt. I wish you would have told me I would need to get the ATF in horizontally. Not easy to pour oil sideways. Advice that I would need a pump oil can would have been helpful. I do not agree to pay an additional $20 for information that should have been in the first answer.

Thank you.

You do not have to pay again that is just how i replied to your last post. Im sorry that you were not able to understand my advice. I just never know how mechanically inclined some people are that if a more detailed process was needed or clarified then please ask before accepting my answer.