Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a Mercruiser 135hp Alpha 1 i/o.Last time out started…

Customer Question
I have a Mercruiser 135hp...
I have a Mercruiser 135hp Alpha 1 i/o.Last time out started fine idled fine, after @ 5 minutes gave it gas, it hesitated then shut off. After a few tries was able to get started, in gear and up to speed (@ 30 mph). Ran it like that for @ 10 min, came back down to idle and it shut off. Was difficult to start and once started could only idle back to dock. Before this, boat wasn't in the water for about 3/4 months, but was started in the yard every few weeks. After this adventure I drained the tank,fuel pump and lines, thinking water developed. Then got 5 gals new gas, added sta-bil for the first time ever but have same results, starts, idles give it gas, shuts off. What now?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/28/2010
Marine Mechanic: Kenny, Marine Mechanic replied 12 years ago
Kenny
Kenny, Marine Mechanic

What is your engine serial number?

1A022937
anything happening

OK... sorry for the delay.

Your fuel pump has a filter bowl at the bottom.

Unscrew the screw at the bottom of the bowl bracket until it stops.

Push up and remove the bracket.

Remove the bowl and dump its contents into a clean container.

If you find water and debris there is a chance some water has made it past this filter into the bowl of the carburetor. You might have to remove and rebuild the carb.

Once water gets into the carb it will have to be disassembled and cleaned.

You have a metal fuel line attaching to your carb. There is a small filter in this "filter nut".

Hold the 1" filter nut firm with a 1" wrench and loosen the brass fuel line with a 5/8" line wrench. Then loosen and remove the filter nut. A new filter is included with the carb kit should you decide to rebuild the carb. This little filter is only meant to keep out sediment. If water is in your fuel it will get right through this filter. This filter can be cleaned and reused.

You will need a carb rebuild kit to rebuild your carb.

The carb is a Mercarb with TKS (turn key starting).

The correct Kit is part 3310-810929004 for about $42.00

If you are unsure how to rebuild a Mercarb you might want to purchase a factory shop manual.

The correct TKS manual for your engine is part 90-866202 and they can be purchased from www.sterndrivemanuals.com

One more item to check... You might have a sticking antisyphon valve.

This is a fitting to which your fuel line attach's on the fuel tank. It has a check ball which can hang up and cause a fuel restriction. Replace the fitting if you suspect the valve is faulty/sticking.

Kenny
Kenny, Marine Mechanic
Thank you !

You are welcome and if you have any other questions let me know.

One more thing... Many boat manufacturers do not install Water Separating Filters.

A water separating filter helps catch water in the fuel before it gets to your engine.

It mounts between your engine and fuel tank and the replaceable element looks much like that of an oil filter.

You might already have one installed and if that is the case the element should be changed. If you do not have one installed you should considering installing one.

Fuel has been a problem in boats for years but now, with the presence of ethanol, it has gotten worse. If your boat sits for a few months the ethanol in the fuel will sublimate out in a layer in the bottom of your fuel tank. When you go to use your boat your engine sucks up pure ethanol from the bottom of the tank and will not run very well, if at all.

Suck out any suspect fuel.

You can pour a very small sample on the sidewalk and carefully light it on fire.

Use extreme caution when performing this test as burning fuel can cause damage, injury or death.

Gas will have an orange and sometimes smoky flame. Ethanol will have a light blue flame with no smoke.

Do not use a whole bunch of fuel additives. Most of them will not cure a bad water and/or alcohol problem.