Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

MY EVINRUDE OUTBOARD MOTOR WONT START, i AM GETTING SPARK TO

Customer Question

MY EVINRUDE OUTBOARD MOTOR WONT START, i AM GETTING SPARK TO BOTH CYLINDERS BUT WONT START tHE CARBURETOR SEEMS TO BE GETTING FUEL AND THE CARBURETOR IS FAIRLY NEW
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 7 years ago.
Hi, Has your boat been sitting for a period of time? Thanks Tan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WELL IT DID THIS WINTER, BUT I HAVE HAD THE BOAT OUT 15 OR 20 TIMES IN THE LAST 2 MONTHS IT STARTED EVERYTIME WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ABOUT 3 TIMES WHICH I FOOLED AROUNG WITH IT AND FINALLY IT STARTED. I HAD A BOAT MECHANIC PUT A NEW PWR PACK ON IT AND IT FIRED UP ALL DAY FOR ONE DAY AND THEN THE NEXT DAY NOTHING
Expert:  Tan replied 7 years ago.

First thing you need to do is a compression test. And spark check I know you said you had spark but lets double check. If you have spark and good compression that leaves the fuel system. Remove the cover off the front of the carburetor,remove the lower drain plug # XXXXX see what comes out, water will bead and you may find some debris, if you find anything remove the carburetor tear down and install a carb kit p/n(NNN) NNN-NNNN Make sure you remove the high speed jet # XXXXX and clean this is where all your fuel get to the engine.There are no fuel adjustments on this carburetor. Thanks click "Accept" button. Post back with questions..TanDiagram of  Evinrude Parts 1984 E60TLCRE 1984 CARBURETOR Diagram