Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

i have a older sangster boat and want to hook an auxillary…

Customer Question
i have a older sangster...
i have a older sangster boat and want to hook an auxillary heater to the 470 mercruiser engine is this a safe thing to do ie will the water pump handle the extra fluid movement required and also is there a diagram of where to get my output and return line that i can down load
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Boat
2/23/2010
Marine Mechanic: John White, Marine Mechanic replied 12 years ago
John White
John White, Marine Mechanic

What you're describing is possible and the water circulating pump would handle it just fine. On most engines there would be a fitting on the thermostat housing for the supply hose and another fitting on the water circulating pump for the return hose, but not on the Mercruiser 4 cylinder 470 engines. You have to cut and tee into the water hoses in two places. The Mercruiser service manual has a good diagram of this setup, but it can't be posted here because it's copy written material. I'll try to explain it the best I can with some help of the parts diagrams below.

If you look at the pictures below the red circle is the inlet tie in point for the in hose to the auxiliary heater. This point is after the thermostat in the exhaust manifold, but before the heat exchanger. The blue circle is the tie in point for the return hose from the auxiliary heater. This point is after the intake manifold, but before the water circulating pump. You will have to cut the hoses at these locations and add tee fittings. Mercruiser used to make a kit with both tees and hose clamps, but I can't seem to find the part number for it to check and see if it's still available.

graphic

graphic

The hoses going to and from the auxiliary heater must be no larger than 5/8" ID. Also the auxiliary heater must be mounted below the level of the fill cap on the cooling system reservoir. After installing refill the cooling system to the new capacity and check for leaks. Anytime the engine is running it should have cooling water going to it, either in the water or connected to a flush attachment on the garden hose. There shouldn't be any problems, but any time after this kind of installation you will want to keep a check on the engine temperature for the first few uses just to make sure there are no overheating problems. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Edited by XXXXX XXXXX on 2/23/2010 at 4:55 AM EST
John White
John White, Marine Mechanic