Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have an alpha 1 outdrive and hit a rock with the prop. The…

Customer Question
I have an alpha 1...
I have an alpha 1 outdrive and hit a rock with the prop. The output shaft of the engine is turning, but the prop is not. Where is the most likly failure?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Boat
10/3/2009
Marine Mechanic: Rick Gay, Marine Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Rick Gay
Rick Gay, Marine Mechanic
My name is XXXXX XXXXX seen is the top part of the drive shaft in lower half shears off with an impact.You will have to split the 2 halfs to be able to see.You could also [with engine off] is to put it in forward gear and try to turn the prop.if it turns really easy the shaft has sheared.

I hope I have helped.
Thank you for using just answer.
Rick
I have pulled the outdrive off the boat. I turn the input shaft and the prop does not turn. When in gear, the prop turns only one direction. I pulled the input shaft assembly and looked at the first section of the verticle shaft. On the verticle shaft there is a small upper bearing a gear, and a lower bearing. Below the larger bearing, the shaft is not directly connected to the lower verticle shaft. How is power transmismitted to the prop?
The power is transmitted to the prop thru the driven gears in the upper gear case.Which the shaft that has the small bearing on top of it in the upper housing, that shaft has splines inside it under the gear.then the shaft[#71] in diaghram goes into it when the 2 halfs go together. you will see splines at the top of that shaft. If you dont then shaft has sheared below splines.You can follow this link to see the breakdown of the lower unit and the drive shaft I am talking about.
Hope this helps
Thanks
Rick

http://www.sterndrive.info/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/MWM-Mercruiser-parts-layout-1-24-illustrated-lower-unit-drawing..jpg
Rick Gay
Rick Gay, Marine Mechanic