Boat

I have an intermittent fault on my starboard Mercruiser 496…

I have an intermittent fault...
I have an intermittent fault on my starboard Mercruiser 496 MAG engine. Engine will start after a rest period (20 mins or more) run for a couple of minutes then cuts out and will not restart (cranks over OK).
I've had a Mercruiser service engineer to the boat with diagnostics plugged in, no fault code.
Fuel supply all OK, engine not... Read full answer
Fuel supply all OK, engine not starting due to no spark on any cylinder. No obvious problems with wiring looms. Any suggestions - the service engineer seems to be struggling and my bill is getting bigger!
8/22/2009
mercmastertech
mercmastertech, Service Manager, Master technician

Welcome to JustAnswer.com and thank you for your question.

An intermittant running/no start issue that you are experiencing on your Mercruiser 496 magnum engine will be near impossible to diagnose over the internet so I can only ask a few questions and offer some suggestions to hopefully assist your service technician resolve your issue.

Has the technician isolated the boats wiring harness from the starboard engine? Meaning, has he disconnected the boats wiring harness from the engine and provided his own harness for troubleshooting (this is a very common diagnostic procedure that will eliminate the possibility of the no start condition being caused by a shorted or grounded wire in the boats wiring loom or gauges as well as a faulty emergency stop switch). This procedure will also require the technician to unplug and inspect the cannon plug on the engine (round plug where the boats wiring harness connects to the engines wiring harness - common spot for a break in the wiring due to corrosion or loose connection).

Has the technician performed a wiggle test on the engine harness and sensor connections with the ignition on or when the engine is running to attempt to locate a possible loose connection within the engine harness or at the sensor connections? The wiggle test may also locate a possible broken wire inside the loom that is intermittantly making and breaking contact as the harness/engine warms up.

Has the technician swapped PCM's from your port engine to the starboard engine to check for a possible issue with the starboard engines PCM after warming up?

Is your technician using the PCM555 diagnostic manual and troubleshooting charts when performing the diagnostics on your engine? If not, he may be relying solely on the EFI scan tool or CDS (laptop) to tell him why the engine will not start, this is normally not a very successful way to diagnose a problem on an EFI engine (especially a fairly complicated engine such as your 496 mag). There are sensors and instances that will not produce a fault code in the ECM (ie: bad crank position sensor, loose/corroded connection in the harness).

The PCM555 diagnostic manual (Mercruiser part number 90-863757002) is an absolute must when troubleshooting engines that use the PCM555 for the EFI system such as your 496 mag, the manual will have full array of diagnostic charts and wiring diagrams to assist a technician in diagnostics. The PCM555 diagnostic manual will have the diagnostic chart for a no start situation that you are experiencing on your engine as well as numerous wiring diagrams for each sensor and harness on your engine to assist the technician in his diagnostic procedures. If the technician is not using this manual, I would strongly suggest that he acquire the PCM555 diagnostic manual in order to expedite the diagnostics and repair on your engine.

Normally, a no start condition such as your circumstance is much easier to diagnose then say... an intermittant engine miss or hesitation. However, the technician must use all availble resources and service manuals to accurately diagnose the problem in an expedited manner.

I apologize that I could not provide more specific information to pinpoint what may be causing your no start condition on your starboard engine but I hope that you or your technician can find some of this information useful. Thanks again for your question.

BTW, If I were taking a wild shot in the dark, I would be looking closely at...

1. The crank position sensor (and harness connection at the crank position sensor).
2. Loose/broken connection within the engine harness or at the sensor and PCM connections.
3. Corroded or loose ground wire(s).

4. Possible PCM issue as the engine warms up (hopefully this is not the cause in your case).

mercmastertech

Thanks for the tips. I will pass on to the local Mercruiser mechanic whom seems to be struggling (and my bill racking up!). I do have a problem with the starboard trim sensor signal (indicator jumps around erraticaly) so am wondering if this may be related (ground fault?). I've 'accepted' answer and left positive feedback. I may be back in touch depending on how things progress.

Thanks again, Guy

Hello Guy,

You're welcome! I hope that you get your running issue on your starboard engine resolved quickly.

The trim sender that sends a variable ground signal to the trim gauge is a fairly high failure rate item, it's possible that it may be related to your engine issues but unlikely. The trim sender will either fill up with water and start rusting internally or the sender wire will get pinched behind the bell housing at the outside of the transom which will result in an erratic or a non responsive trim gauge. If the sender has water in it, a trim sender rotor kit can be used to repair the sender as long as the rust isn't extensive. If the rust is extensive or if the sender wires are pinched, then the sender must be replaced.

Thanks again for your question and for the "accept".

Thanks once again for your help.

For your information the fault proved to be the crankshaft position sensor which was one of your suggestions.

The problem I'm having now is locating a replacement - local dealer in Singapore telling me 4-6 weeks. Trying to source one on the internet.

That's great news! I'm glad the intermittant cause of the no start condition has been found.

Wow, 4-6 weeks for a CPS from Mercruiser to Singapore? I wonder why the long delay, I just checked and Mercruiser has the CPS's in stock at all of their warehouses in the US, does your dealer order from an international warehouse? If you cant find one on the internet to have it delivered quicker, you may consider having your technician look for the CPS at a GM automotive parts store if you have one available, I'm told that the automotive 496 CPS is the same (but it would be best to have the old CPS in hand to compare if you choose to go this route, I do suspect that the parts are the same but I have not confirmed it).

I hope you get your engine up and running again soon, thanks again!

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
The two beep alarm just started on my 496 mercruiser engine.
The two beep alarm just started on my 496 mercruiser engine. All fluids are good, and motors sound good. … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 2008 270 cr with a 496 mag, I am getting a warning
Hi I have a 2008 270 cr with a 496 mag JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks a… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 2009 Boston Whaler 250 outrage with twin 200hp
I have a 2009 Boston Whaler 250 outrage with twin 200hp verados. While running the boat after 10 min of running it the starboard engine died out. I tried starting it again and it tried to turn over bu… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
Stop searching for answers—
Just took delivery on a crownline 285ss. Electronic gauges
Just took delivery on a crownline 285ss. Electronic gauges intermittently freeze, and display "no data". When you re-start the boat, the gauges begin to work again. Dealer says the gauges "just work t… read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
there I have a 2001 496 mag ho, I was 10 nautical miles
Hi there I have a 2001 496 mag ho, I was 10 nautical miles off shore when the guardian kicked in and Imcould only limp back to port at 980 rpm, the motor runs sweet, no cooling or fluid problems, oil … read more
Charles
Charles
Certified Mercury Tech
we have a colbalt 250 with 8.1L 496 Mag in it, this boat has
we have a colbalt 250 with 8.1L 496 Mag in it, this boat has set for 2 years, we put new batteries in it,we checked the oil, and started it. it runs good, sounds good no oil pressure. so we rechecked … read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
2001 Baja boat, 496 h.o. mercruiser. fuel injected. Back of
2001 Baja boat, 496 h.o. mercruiser. fuel injected. Back of the boat is more black than usual, like a rich condition. Ran 30 minutes at the lake and it cut off, would not start back at all. After 20 m… read more
orcamarine
orcamarine
Proprietor ,
Why wont the tach work on my 496 mag ho? I could have sworn
why wont the tach work on my 496 mag ho? I could have sworn it worked the other night when I was at the sellers house but didnt work on the sea trial. I tried pulling harness off engine an sprayed con… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Ford Mercruiser: I am working on a 1993 Ford 496 CID Mercruiser
I am working on a 1993 Ford 496 CID Mercruiser engine. The engine is in a bilge of a boat and we cannot see the serial number. The key switch is sending power to the intermediate starting relay which … read more
Certified Marine Mechanic,
I have a 4 yr-old Yamaha 8hp, 4-stroke. Got it serviced recently.
I have a 4 yr-old Yamaha 8hp, 4-stroke. Got it serviced recently. Put it back on boat. Went OK for several hours then started to cut out. Found it difficult to get it started again without continually… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
I have a 2005 regal with twin mercruiser 496 mag 8.1 engines...
I have a 2005 regal with twin mercruiser 496 mag 8.1 engines... After running for about 30 minutes. The starboard engine start to cut out. It RPM eventually starts to swing you and down wildly. After … read more
Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri
Marine mechanic,
Diploma
Hello... I have a mercruiser 350 mag i/o. Today was my third
Hello... I have a mercruiser 350 mag i/o. Today was my third run of the season. Each time my starting hesitated. It took a bit and stalled a few times upon start, but then ran great. (a new starter wa… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
Stop searching for answers—
Is it enough to drain the 2 blue plugs on a 496 mag( boat is
Is it enough to drain the 2 blue plugs on a 496 mag( boat is on a lift out of water) if boat will be used periodically during the winter months. Boat is kept in AR on tablerock lake, the lake does not… read more
Jason
Jason
Marine Mechanic,
Hi I have 2- 6.2 Mercruisers in my 2004 Chapperal SSi 28 foot
Hi I have 2- 6.2 Mercruiser's in my 2004 Chapperal SSi 28 foot boat which I bought from the States last August. The boat is in mint condition with 190 hr. on the engines. Last year I got a two min. al… read more
Certified Marine Mechanic,
I have a 2005 Cobalt with 496 Mercruiser engine. With gradual
I have a 2005 Cobalt with 496 Mercruiser engine. With gradual throttle advance, engine stutters at ~1100 rpm and loses power. If we throttle back and then rapidly advance to full throttle, it runs fin… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
I have a mercruiser bravo II 496 mag gas engine in my parasail
I have a mercruiser bravo II 496 mag gas engine in my parasail boat. I would like to replace it with a diesel engine. What would be the easiest swap.… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
2002 Fomula 34 Pc twin Mercruiser 496s Starboard engine alarm
2002 Fomula 34' Pc twin Mercruiser 496's Starboard engine alarm goes off every 60 sec. Larry B helped me last time. Had the following codes: Trouble Code List: PITOT CKT LO Code is active FUEL LVL CKT… read more
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.
Have a 2002 Cruisers Yachts 3275 with twin Mercruiser 5.0L
Have a 2002 Cruisers Yachts 3275 with twin Mercruiser 5.0L MPI Alpha's. The port engine will stall when it has a load on it over 2400 RPM's. It sends no engine trouble light ot tone and shows no fault… read more
capt ron 1959
capt ron 1959
Owner/Marine Mechanic,