How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Master Tech Your Own Question
Master Tech
Master Tech, Marine Technician
Category: Boat
Satisfied Customers: 1168
Experience:  Evinrude Master Technician with 30 years of experience.
Type Your Boat Question Here...
Master Tech is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you install a water pump on a 1979 70HP Johnson outboard

This answer was rated:

How do you install a water pump on a 1979 70HP Johnson outboard motor?

remove teh motor cover, on the port side at the front of the engine under the lower carb you will see a pin (small bolt) going through a connector that attaches the shift lever to the geasrcase shift rod. Remove the pin


Next tilt up the engine and remove the (4) boltsn (two on each side) holding the gearcase to the midsection, remove the bolt holding the trim tab in place and finally the two long bolts forward of the trim tab area.


The gearcase will be in your hands.


The water pump is in the plastic housing that is bolted to the top of the gearcase on the driveshaft.


Don't turn the shift rod or it will need to be readjusted!

Master Tech and other Boat Specialists are ready to help you