JamesHorvath305
JamesHorvath305, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  15 yrs Marine Industry, Mercury Certified, Yamaha 5 star Recognized
10729613

how do I change the steering wheel on my boat. sea ray 22

Customer Question

220 OV Select Model. Specifically, can I just buy a standard Steering wheel online that I like. How do I find out online what exactly are the dimensions of the stem, nut, cup etc so I know that the wheel I want to buy will fit? How do you loosen a very tight nut on the steering wheel, espcially while the wheel wants to turn? Is there anything I dont know that I should know?
Category: Boat
Expert:  JamesHorvath305 replied 9 years ago.
Hey thereCustomer Most helm's are standard shank size, with a slight taper to the shaft and a key-way to lock it in place. The nut holding it in place is usually a ny-lock nut having a nylon insert (this melts when it is put on with an air tool or drill, locking it onto the shaft) for saftey reasons. I recomend you spray it with some PB Blaster to free up any corrosion / rust, and either use an impact wrench, or a breaker bar and a length of pipe while you have a strong friend hold the steering wheel! Thanks again, please click Accept or I won't get paid for my time!