BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

My check engine light is on and 191C02 is the code coming…

My check engine light...

My check engine light is on and 191C02 is the code coming up. I work at a automotive high school

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light blinking or flashing, or is it solid? When did you first notice it?

BMW X2, 2018

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2018 BMW?

Approx 33,500

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the BMW BMW Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Light came on after using AC over weekend

6/27/2022
BMW Mechanic: Billy, Trainer - MAster Tech. replied 1 month ago
Billy
Billy, Trainer - MAster Tech.

Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed. If you get prompted for a premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point. My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience. May I know your first name?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Annette

Hello Annette,

This fault is caused by contamination within the fuel tank ventilation system, due to a defective fuel tank ventilation valve (TEV). So the first thing to do would be inspecting the fuel tank ventilation valve, and the inlet fuel tank breather line.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, what would I be looking forOn those lines

First the valve itself, make sure it's not clogged, and the lines should be clear.

Billy
Billy, Trainer - MAster Tech.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

After doing so, and if the valve needs replacing (it most likely will) make sure you update the engine control unit software.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Looks like I may need to bring into BMW

Not necessarily, may independent shops do this work. I will include a link to a list of certified shops that you can check out if needed. Here's the link: https://bit.ly/3iAiaIc

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, my zip code is 07657

Just enter the zip code in the page you get after you press the link, and it will show you the places that are nearby.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you!!!

You're very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I still drive my vehicle with this issue only have this carI don't dare turn on my AC

Yes, this fault should not cause you any problems. You can drive the vehicle. And the A/C is not related. It's just a coincidence, so you can use it as needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank u, that helps cause this heat is no joke

You're welcome.