BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Do you have any suggestions on reinstalling rear

Customer Question
Do you have any...

Do you have any suggestions on reinstalling rear differential that doesn't seem to line up properly?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you planning on installing differential yourself? Do you need help finding necessary parts?

Yes I'm planning on installing it myself. I'm reinstalling my current one so i dont think i need any more parts

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your BMW?

2014 435i coupe rwd

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the BMW Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

No thats all

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
10/25/2021
BMW Mechanic: Ian Crabtree,
 replied 1 year ago
Ian Crabtree

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** am I assisting please Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your vehicle but I am here to help. The system will automatically offer a phone call but I'm unable to take calls at this time. One moment while I review the information. Regards Ian

what help do you need with installing the differential ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't seem to be able to line up the front and rear boltsi'm using a transmission jack, but when lift it up, either one of the rear bolts will line up properly but the front is too low, or the front will line up but the rear wontcurrently i don't have the rear car lifted, but they're sitting on ramps, would that cause an issue with reinstall?
BMW Mechanic: Ian Crabtree,
 replied 1 year ago

could you take some pictures and send to give me more of an idea what were dealing with.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sure, I won't be able to send anything until I'm home from work
BMW Mechanic: Ian Crabtree,
 replied 1 year ago

Ok it is easier to install if the wheels are on the ground as the suspension will be under normal driving conditions and not hanging down first raise the differential so it is lined up with the rear mounting bolts and try insert the bolts by hand as to not cross thread them once the threads are in ytou might need to use a lever or  pry bar on the other rear mountin bush to line it up with the bolt hole once the 2 rear rbolts are in then you need to raise or lower the front slightly to line it up with the front mount again you will most likely  need to use a lever or pry bar to line up the mount bolt hole then insert and tighten the bolt by hand until it has gone in a few turns then tighten with wrench once all mount bolts are in and tight you can remove the transmission jsct to replace the other components.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's the strategy i've been attempting, but i think my issue is raising/lowering the front/rear of the differential only. My transmission jack is just a straight up or down as a whole. Tilting it left or right seems to be pretty easy. Tilting front or back is the challenge.
BMW Mechanic: Ian Crabtree,
 replied 1 year ago

I normally use a lift but I have done them on the floor and I use a normal jack so get the differential under the car as close as you can to were it needs to be fitted on axle stands then raise it with a normal jack as you can tilt it better with a jack.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll give that a go and update you with the results when I get home. One more detail that may or may not be a factor, in order for me to have accessed the diff cover, all I did was unbolt of front and rear diff bolts, what looks like support braces for the exhaust, the 2 nuts right at the muffler to allow additional clearance for the diff to drop and that's all. Heat shielding I left as is. Would I need to unbolt/remove anything else to allow greater movement while repositioning the diff?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Ian, so after a lot of aggravating shifting around, I currently have the 2 rear bolts aligned. I hand tightened the both of them a few turns and used a wrench for a bit more. still have another inch to go, but I left it there.The front bolt is maybe half an inch away from accepting the bolt but I'm starting to experience so hesitation. I'm starting to hear some creaking noises which usually indicates something might be wrong. I've also noticed that turning the other 2 bolts with a wrench has become very difficult. My fear is continuing to raise the front will lead to something snapping. the rear mount of the diff looks like bushings and I believe those allow for a certain level of flexibility.Am I just being overly cautious and just keep going or are my fears warranted?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello?