BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Car shaking and Multi codes show up. 131101 102601 108101…

Customer Question
Car shaking and Multi...

Car shaking and Multi codes show up

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

131101 102601 108101 102C01 CD9304

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

2010 bmw 750i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 750i yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven’t tried anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats everything

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: BMW
10/5/2020
BMW Mechanic: BMWMatt, BMW Master Technician replied 1 year ago
BMWMatt
BMWMatt, BMW Master Technician

Hello and welcome. Here are the descriptions of the fault codes, Does your scan tool show if they codes are present or if they are stored? The air volume related faults could be due to an air leak in the intake system. The PCV valves are common to break on this engine. the crankshaft fault would indicate there is a problem with either the cam sensor,crank sensor or the engine timing has jumped

131101 Crankshaft - exhaust camshaft 2, reference: angle difference outside limit value

102601 Air volume meter 2: Short circuit to B+ or line disconnection

108101 Intake air temperature sensor 2, electrical: Short circuit to B+

102C01 Hot film air mass meter 2, signal Short circuit to B+

CD9304 BSD bus Communication fault

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also the engine coolant keeps going out completely after on day and there’s no visible leaks. Would this also be a cause of the air leak

No the cooling system is separate. If you are losing coolant and its not leaking on the ground it may be going into the engine which will cause misfire due. Was the car over heated?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Does your scan tool show if they codes are present or if they are stored? You may need to clear the faults and see what comes back right away, You have 3 different problems need to address what is going on right now. Some of those codes may be stored in the system but not active faults

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I cleared them and only 3 come up right away
131101
102601
102c01Sorry it was 4
108101

Take the air mass meters out and swap them. Clear the faults and see if the faults come back as Sensor 1 instead of sensor 2. You clearly have a problem with the air mass meter on bank 2. swapping the sensors will tell you if the sensor it self is the problem

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got it cleaned and noticed a plug out and this the codes that's pop up
Once I rest131101
140701

So you still have the camshaft sensor fault and now you also have misfire on cylinder #7

140701 Misfire, cylinder 7: injection is cut out

I would suggest swapping the exhaust cam sensors from bank 1 to bank 2 and see if the fault changes to sensor 1. Do the same with the coil on cylinder #7 move it to a different cylinder and see if the fault migrates with it. Cylinder #7 is the 3rd one back on the drivers side

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I swap cylinder and it did change to cylinder 4 so I'm ordering new oneOnly codes coming up are
140402
130708

Lets get that coil replaced and see how the engine runs. You have a new fault now for vanos adjustment so before we get in to that lets make sure the coil is not causing that issue as well

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Changed now it's one cold come up
130708

Did you ever swap the cam sensors? Before you had a fault for bank 2 exhaust cam sensor now you have bank 2 exhaust vanos limit not reached.

Fault code
130708 - P0025

Fault text
'B' Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)

Fault description
Diagnosis monitors exhaust VANOS control, cylinder bank 2. The
target value/actual value deviation is permanently checked over time
during the complete driving cycle.
The fault is detected when VANOS does not track the target value in
the specified time.
Possible cause of fault:
- VANOS solenoid valve heavily soiled or sticking
- VANOS unit operates stiffly or defective

Action in service
1. Check whether VANOS solenoid valve is soiled, if heavy soiled
remove filter mesh with tear-off tab
2. Install new solenoid valve (valve sticking)
3. Replace VANOS unit
'Proceed in steps - check system after each step (clear fault code
memory and perform function test) '

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did swap and it and cleaned them and that's the code that was left

But this is a new fault? before it was 131101 now 130708?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's the only code that comes up now

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense but we still have a problem with the same camshaft. Bank 2 exhaust. The only thing you can do now before a timing check is required. Is to swap the vanos solenoids to see if maybe that has failed causing the timing to be slightly off. The vanos solenoids are on the front of the timing cover so bank 2 would be drivers side. See pic below

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=KA83-USA-06-2010-F01-BMW-750i&diagId=11_4178

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that behind the turbo

It is on the front of the engine behind the intercooler for the turbo. When I look up the fault this is what comes up as possible causes

Action in service
remove filter mesh with tear-off tab
3. Replace VANOS unit
memory and perform function test) '