BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

07 335 bmw shows lock with key .started this mornin wont do…

Customer Question
07 335 bmw shows...

07 335 bmw shows lock with key .started this mornin wont do anything now

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes my husband has it hookd up to charger

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have tried jumping it w my husbands truck got it on brand new charger and its a new battery

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/3/2019
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 2 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert

Hello and welcome,

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

sorry to hear of the issue you are having

I'm afraid I have bad news. 99% the car will need to be towed to BMW.

Unfortunately this is a very common problem on this model. The electronic steering lock is very common to fail and cause this. You can try wiggling the wheel and rocking the car back and forth, a second key, a another jump start, check fuses, lock unlock the car a few times using the blade key, and unhooking the battery for an hour.

Truthfully, none of these is likely to work. I'm afraid that almost certainly the car will need to be towed to bmw, as this is usually the only way to resolve this issue.

Bmw will normally have to update the software or replace the steering column to fix the issue. BMW actually got rid of the steering lock on later model 3 series’ because they failed so commonly and were such a problem.

If you do a google search for e90 steering lock or e90 elv, you will find all kinds of people with the same issue.

I am sorry I can't have better news, but I do trust that my honesty and quick response is appreciated. Again this is very common.

sir.on the dash its showin a lock w key.new battery it crunk this mornin not this afternoon,wont do anything now

if you need a non dealer option, check out www.bimmershops.com or www.bimrs.org for options.

thank you.pos i still owe 6 gs on.appreciate your help
You are welcome