BMW

BMW questions? Ask a BMW repair Expert for answers.

Remote control, I believe I get a Key/Battery indication and…

Customer Question
Remote control, I believe...

Remote control, I believe I get a Key/Battery indication and then Steering Wheel with lock

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the BMW been driving lately?

Roughly, since arriving in Arkansas

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your BMW?

328i 2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 328i yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I have tried moving the Steering wheel left/right. Remote is a solid remote, trying to replace Battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think thats it

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: BMW
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/12/2019
BMW Mechanic: Steve, BMW Expert replied 3 years ago
Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Hello and welcomeSorry to hear of the issue you are having
I'm afraid I have bad news. 99% the car will need to be towed to BMW.
Unfortunately this is a very common problem on this model. The electronic steering lock is very common to fail and cause this. You can try wiggling the wheel and rocking the car back and forth, a second key, a jump start, check fuses, lock unlock the car a few times using the blade key, and unhooking the battery for an hour. You have already tried a few of these I see....
Truthfully, none of these is likely to work. I'm afraid that almost certainly the car will need to be towed to bmw, as this is usually the only way to resolve this issue.
Bmw will normally have to update the software or replace the steering column to fix the issue. BMW actually got rid of the steering lock on later model 3 series' because they failed so commonly and were such a problem.
If you do a google search for e90 steering lock or e90 elv, you will find all kinds of people with the same issue.
I am sorry I can't have better news, but I do trust that my honesty and quick response is appreciated